NAD: ENGL Fireball 25!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: ENGL Fireball 25!

MT15 came from PRS and that was one of the first mini-amps to feature 6L6 tubes in the power-section. This does give the amp more headroom and 'oomph'. I think the latter mostly has to do with headroom because in my experience the small EL84 can have more than enough low-end, it's just that they start to break up earlier than 6L6's for example. I do like the MT15 a lot though and I have to admit that it sounds quite 'big' for a 'small' amp...

Then the Fireball 25 came around and I got very excited because both the Fireball 100 and Ironball are excellent amps. I love that typical edgy ENGL tone, great cleans, clear crunch tones and crushing high-gain. I already was pretty sure that the Fireball 25 would deliver on all those fronts.

So I got the amp and I have to say it absolutely lives up to my expectations! The cleans are gorgeous although I do miss the bright-switch a little bit. It still sounds great without it though. Just like my other ENGLs, the clean channel can be pushed to a nice crunch, sounds great! Could be even better with a good boost. The Lead channel is where the magic happens! Plenty of gain and a lot of edgy (but not harsh!) presence and cut. Heavy but tight low-end and nicely balanced mids. It really does sound like a larger amp indeed! I still need to compare it directly to my FB100 and IB but I will do that soon enough...

Until then, here's a short demo/review-ish video of the amp. I think it sounded just perfect in the mix.... I'm blown away by the amp!:

Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Update: still loving the amp! I'm currently working on a demo video that shows this amp off in more styles, so clean, crunch, rock, leads and heavy! Will report back soon with that demo. Perhaps that will be a little less one-sided.
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Comment

I'd love to play through one of those. Hell, I'd like to play through any ENGl amps....lol. I love their sound from all the demos I've heard of them.

Comment

Judging by your video it definitely has some pretty cool sounds.

Comment

Working...
        X