banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Song, 32+ Amps! (the ultimate amp demo compilation thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today we're looking at the wonderful Laney Ironheart IRT60H 60 watt head!

I really love this amp for a bunch of reasons. The tone is great and sits in the mix very firmly, the tonal shaping options are very useful (such as the push-pull EQ and boost etc.) and it also looks really cool with the red glow!

Check it out:

Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Comment

The amp in today's episode ain't no Mesa Badlander, but it's still a BADASS! This is my 3 2000's 3 channel Dual Rectifier. I love this amp a lot as it sounds huge and raw in a good way. See, that's what I like about Recto's, they make your guitar sound bigger. That does mean that the low-end is more loose and 'flubby' than something like a Marshall, but I like how that fills out the mix in a BIG way. I still would love to try a Badlander, I'm sure I could get some great tones out of it, but until then I'll enjoy my Dual Rectifier just fine! Even without a boost for the most part. Here's the episode:

OwnHammer.com

Comment

We're getting closer to the final 33 amps compilation, I hope there are still people along for the ride

So this episode focuses on the Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40. It's a 40w 4 channel amp with a lot of built-in features such as a boost (which is independently voiced for each channel), built-in effects like reverb, delay, modulation etc, a power-soak and power scaling and the list goes on... I really like this amp. It can do a lot but it certainly has it's own voice. A tone that stands tall in a mix! Nice and present! Check it out:

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Here's the next episode: this one features the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, a very cool UK made Marshall with a lot of character and some great tonal options. Maybe these amps weren't so popular back in the day, I'm not sure, but I know that a lot of people like these amps nowadays, and I'm one of them! The high-gain tones on this amp aren't super modern and tight but they have a nice thick saturation with plenty of gain. A boost pedal can certainly turn these amps into metal monsters. The clean tones are good albeit a little bright, nothing that can't be fixed with some eq. The crunch tones are really nice on this amp as well! I never use the scooped tone shift voicing but the deep control certainly is useful. Here's the episode, enjoy:

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Today I'm featuring a very good amp by ENGL; the Fireball 100!

This 100w 6L6 amp has some serious girth, filth and clarity! The clean tones are really chimey/glassy which I really like and you can push the clean channel up to a nice crunch. The high-gain tones in this amp are to die for. Quite tight and gnarly but with plenty of bottom-end and saturation. Check it out:

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Hey folks, a little update:

I was planning on releasing the BIG 6.5 hour long 'One Song, 33 Amps!' compilation yesterday but at the last minute I discovered a pretty big error that I had to fix. So I had to go back and re-render the video. That took about a day and now I'm reuploading that video which will take a couple more days unfortunately. So I figured, while it's uploading we'd have some fun and check out some more amps!

Today we're looking at the wonderful Orange Rockerverb 50 MK III. SUCH a serious amp! Absolutely love this thing. I think the tones speak for themselves:

Which amp would you like to see next? Blackstar HT CLUB 50 MK II? Marshall JMP-1? Orange Brent Hinds? Peavey 6505MH? One of these perhaps?

OwnHammer.com

Comment

The upload for the big video is at 50%. I hope it will be ready for release on sunday. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime, here's the episode with the Peavey 6505 MH! This amp is really cool and it replicates the sound of the big amps quite well. It doesn't sound exactly the same but it definitely still sounds like a 6505! Great cleans and all the driven tones are great too imho! The clean on this small one are even better than the cleans on the big 6505 imho! Check it out:

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Here's the next episode. This one features the Blackstar HT Club 50 MK II! A very cool amp with a broad tonal palette!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

It's here: the BIGGEST guitar amp demo video in human history! 'One Song, 33 Amps!'. I've worked on this project for over a month and I'm so excited and relieved to finally be sharing this with the world. I sincerely hope that you get enjoyment out of it and perhaps also some new knowledge about guitar amps and their tones in a recording/studio setting.

All the amps can be heard with clean, crunch, rock, solo lead and boosted metal tones and I've included detailed timecodes in the description for easy skipping between the amps. Enjoy and ROCK!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Alright, since the big one is out I figured I'd just star releasing all the final episodes to round everything off. One that came to mind is the awesome and classic Marshall JMP-1, that I always run through the poweramp of my DSL 50 JCM 2000. There's something special about this amp. The mids are just so solid! It's pretty tight and chunky. It almost sounds kind of Friedman-y. That more compact and solid crunch. I guess Friedmans are mainly based on that 80s rock tone that we all know and love so it does make sense. Anyway, really enjoyed this one, the JMP-1. Don't forget that you can compare this amp to all other 32 amps in the main compilation video above!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Here's another one, the Orange Brent Hinds Terror!

It may look the same as the Rocker 15 Terror but this thing has a very raw and more vintage tone to it. The natural or clean channel sounds very pure, great for pedals and the drive channel is really similar to a pissed off vintage Marshall amp. Very cool indeed! Compare it to 32 other amps in the main comparison as posted above!

OwnHammer.com

Comment

The OR15 is a cool looking Orange lunchbox amp. 15 watts and only one channel but surprisingly versatile. The clean and crunch tones are great (typical Orange) but it has quite a lot of gain on tap so it can do metal as well. Same PCB as the Jim Root but with a different flavor. More vintage and 'fizzy' (the good fizz). Check it out:

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarjon View Post
                            And here's the next one: the EVH 5150 III 50W EL34!

This amp certainly is popular and for good reasons! It's a killer amp, designed by a great guitarist! (RIP EVH!)

I'm not a huge fan of the clean tones myself because they are very very clean with a lot of headroom. I personally prefer cleans that are a little bit more compressed/saturated but I guess a lot of people do like these types of cleans. Definitely not bad, just a certain sound that you have to gell with.

The blue channel is somewhat controversial because it's not as tight and aggressive as the red channel. I've said this before but I think that the blue channel is great BECAUSE of that! It gives the amp way more versatility and it gives the player a more vintage sounding alternative to the modern and blistering red channel. So the red channel is amazing for (heavy) rock and metal but the blue channel is great for classic rock and even more modern rock as well. I would say, let's give the blue channel a chance folks!

Tight high gain tones are cool, but sometimes I think people tend to obsess too much over tightness of tones. A little bit of fatness and looseness can make guitars sound huge in a mix, and more tube-y too imho. Just my 2 cents! Sure, I like tight tones as well but I have just as much love for 'rounder' tones too!

Alrighty, here's the episode:

This is the one I would buy.

I hated the down tuned chugga chugga stuff (I have no use for that...) but liked everything else. including the cleans.

I'm happy with what I have and not in the market for another amp but if I were and I had the cash I'd get this one.
                            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Check out this new amp collection tour where I talk about all my amps. What I like about them, what sounds they do well etc.

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X