Which speakers for Mesa 50 caliber plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which speakers for Mesa 50 caliber plus

I just picked up a 50 cal+ head after wanting one for around 10-15 years. I have read vintage 30’s and greenbacks both sound good with Mesa amps. But I can afford to try several different speakers. So who has tried different speakers with your mesa’s and which did you prefer?

Liked the WGS Retro 30 with mine a LOT! Your just over in Hanceville so if your coming to Birmingham some time yell come play it through one of my cabs with the Retros.
    Was running one here in my Blackstar 1/12 unmiced with a .50 cal plus head
    Last edited by Ascension; 09-23-2020, 11:09 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

If you're playing straight metal don't use the Greenbacks. Not great for chugging. If you play anything vintage or middle of the road gain, then Greenbacks sound great.

V30S are loud, cut through the mix and are middy.
      T-75'S are smoother and a tad darker.
      K100s are great and full.
      If you're stocking a 4x12, you can't go wrong with 2 V30'S and T-75'S or K100s.
      the wgs retro 30 speakers are also very good.

If I was using a mesa 50cal again, I'd choose T-75 and v30s without hesitation. Dark and bright mixed gives a very good overall tone.

My 2 cents worth.
      Last edited by 80's_Metal; 09-24-2020, 09:58 PM.
      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I have Steve's T75 sitting around
        if I go up that way , I can donate it to a good home
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
          If you're playing straight metal don't use the Greenbacks. Not great for chugging. If you play anything vintage or middle of the road gain, then Greenbacks sound great.

V30S are loud, cut through the mix and are middy.
          T-75'S are smoother and a tad darker.
          K100s are great and full.
          If you're stocking a 4x12, you can't go wrong with 2 V30'S and T-75'S or K100s.
          the wgs retro 30 speakers are also very good.

If I was using a mesa 50cal again, I'd choose T-75 and v30s without hesitation. Dark and bright mixed gives a very good overall tone.

My 2 cents worth.
          Was just playing my 4x12 with 12M-70's. Still don't understand why the bad rep.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            Was just playing my 4x12 with 12M-70's. Still don't understand why the bad rep.

I've never played the M70s myself. They've never really been on my radar. What are they comparable to?
            Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

It's as if you took a T-75 and gave it Greenback mids, all at 70watts. Plenty of low, plenty of mids. The top end is crisp.

Comment

Working...
              X