banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to install a new power chord.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to install a new power chord.

I just picked up a used 50 cal head. The previous owner spliced 2 chords together to make it longer. The problem is the chords on these are hardwired in. The local shop wants $100 to put a new one in. So I was wondering has anyone replaced one theirselves if so how hard was it?

If you have basic wiring skills you should be able to handle it. If you are afraid or a total newbie you could cut the cord at the splice and install a replacement plug instead. The cost a couple bucks at your local home improvement store.

Comment

Can you just replace the plug where its spliced?
      much easier

Replacing the strain relief where the cord enter the back of the amp is where most folks stumble
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If you do your own pickup installs, this will seem pretty easy by comparison.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

As long as you have a good hot iron and hands to hold it you shouldn’t have any problems at all...

Very easy to do....
          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

This is not a huge operation we are talking two or three wires depending on the amp. As JB said a pickup install is more difficult. It might even be an opportunity to install an IEC Plug.

Comment

There are positives and negatives to doing it yourself.

Comment

It’s easy.
                Just a root and a fifth!!!

Comment

You hafta be smarter than the cord.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    It’s easy.
                    Just a root and a fifth!!!
                    I like to go the extra mile and install an octave in my power chords too. It's a little more work, but the results speak for themselves.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I like to go the extra mile and install an octave in my power chords too. It's a little more work, but the results speak for themselves.
                      Octaves speak highly
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Agreed
                        It is the professional’s method

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          There are positives and negatives to doing it yourself.
                          Doing it grounds you too

Comment

I know you guys are having fun with the puns but the OP is asking for help. Try to stick to the current subject.

Comment

Well if you did wire it and wire it incorrectly you or someone down the road could get hurt.
                              Just the fact you're asking tells me you should not cut corners & have a reliable service person take care of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X