banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to install a new power chord.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid autocorrect got me again lol. I may try putting one in myself. If I want to switch it to a 3 prong cord where do the wires go then? The one on it now only has 2 wires one goes to ground on the chassis. The other goes to a tab on the back of the fuse holder.
    where would the other wire go? I looked at a few videos but they showed connecting 2 wires. But I only have 1 terminal to solder to.
    I’m pretty comfortable rewriting guitars and making my own cables but have never messed around inside an amp.
    Last edited by man-in-moon; 09-24-2020, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Well that ONE WIRE is the $364 Million dollar question.

Comment

I agree with others if you are asking this question you might want to consider a pro doing the work. This is the most basic of amp fixes but if wired wrong you could fry the amp or yourself.

Comment

If you have to ask, don't. It's easy enough but only if you know how.

Comment

Don't play around with house current into the amp. Get a pro to do it. If you do it wrong you have a hot chassis---very inconvenient if you have any future plans in life.

Comment

Unfortunately the correct answer is
              let someone else do it

We like you and you are the most unlucky guy on this forum

EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My uncle said he would wire it in for me. He’s a licensed electrician. I have no problem wiring up pots and pickups and doing some electrical in our house. Replacing ceiling fans, outlets and switches stuff like that.
                but I can see them better than I can see inside the amp. It wouldn’t bother me if I could tell where the hot and neutral go plus a ground. The cord that’s hooked up now just has the hot going to the terminal and the neutral is grounded to the chassis.
                sadly it seems like am super unlucky but generally I have a pretty good record. I just keep so many projects be it guitar stuff, working on guns or doing work on the house. Some problems pop up here and there.
                with my vision i do better with a clear drawn picture than I do with a video or someone showing me. Thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it. I’ve just been over thinking things the last few months and start doubting what I can do and can’t. And I know that can be dangerous when messing with stuff like this.

Comment

Let us know how this project turns out. Hopefully it is an easy swap.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X