banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Rattling" sound of my Blackstar tube amp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rattling" sound of my Blackstar tube amp...

So...

After a notoriously bumpy car ride to my uncle (and back), - thanks to the poor roads here in North Norway-

I've noticed that my Blackstar gives off a "rattling" noise, it sounds like you've put some rice grains into a lightbulb, and shake it.

AFAIK, this is because of a failed/damaged preamp tube? :o

Or is it?

Please let me know, so that I can fix the problem .

Thanks bros.

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

With the amp on and a little bit of gain and volume, but no guitar plugged in, gently tap each tube with something that won't get burned and won't break hot glass and won't get stuck to the speaker magnet. A chopstick or pencil works.
    if you have a bad one it'll sound a lot louder than the others. A nice quiet tube has a dull thud or doink sound that doesn't ring and sustain. If you get a loud thud and lightbulb sounds through the amp when you tap, replace the tube
    it can be preamp or power amp tubes that do it

Comment

I have had that happen once in the past.
      It was a bad power tube on its way out.
      But as Fuse states, it could be any tube in the amp.

Comment

Have you checked the spring-loaded clamps that hold the tubes in place? If one of those is loose, then you might be able to fix it for free and not have to worry about replacing tubes.

That being said, replacing tubes is fun and enlightening, so don't take that off the table just because it doesn't "need" to be done.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, friends;

The amp still works; it just has this "rattling" sound when playing loud cleans.

I'll do the "tap test" as FuseG4 said.

-Erl
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Sounds like microphonics, but I haven't had that happen after rough transport before.

Comment

is there something possibly stuck to the magnet

is the speaker possibly loose
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
              X