banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do pickups matter more played through a tube amp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do pickups matter more played through a tube amp??

Hi, i have recently acquired my first tube amp. I have stock pickups in my les paul copy. been looking for a reasonably priced duncan distortion on ebay for a while now. anyways just wondering if pickup quality makes more of a difference when it comes to tube amps??
    Michael Kelly Patriot Black w/Rockfield Fat Ass set
    Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic
    Dunlop Jazz III and Ultex Picks

Re: Do pickups matter more played through a tube amp??

There are links that make up the Tone Chain. Pickups are an important link. As you increase the quality of one link, weaker links often show their faults in a much more obvious way.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Yeah you can tell the difference easily between good and bad pickups quickly if you use a good tube amp. You can also hear more sensitivity changes from picking between pickup with different outputs.
      Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
      Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
      Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
      Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
      Fender Frontman 15g
      Cry Baby
      Boss DS-2
      Boss CE-3
      Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Pickups matter, but I think a good tube amp with good tbes matter FAR FAR MORE. In fact, I think Caps and Tone pots matter a lot more than people think. My friend redid his strat with Callaham parts, WOW what a difference.

Most pickups are like chicken - its all chicken but some people have that extra sauce.

I put much more stock in getting a GREAT tube amp! Cheap pups on a good guitar thru a Bogner SHIVA will still rock if you ask me.
        1973 Les Paul Standard
        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
          There are links that make up the Tone Chain. Pickups are an important link. As you increase the quality of one link, weaker links often show their faults in a much more obvious way.

That's pretty much what I was going to say, except you said it way better than I could've.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Yes.
            Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
            Marshall Mods

Comment

Tubes themselves don't make a difference so much as the overall quality of your signal chain. You'd probably hear a similar difference through a quality non-tube amp.

The way you dial in the amp also makes a difference. It's possible to set things up such that you can hardly tell the difference between neck and bridge pickups, let alone between pickup models in the same position.

I'm a firm believer in the "weakest link" theory. The biggest improvements are going to be made by upgrading the weakest link in your signal chain.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
              My Music

Comment

Good point, Alec. If you've got a 59 Les Paul playing through a couple of $300 pedals into a Bogner, but you use a 30 year old, rat eaten Radio Shack cord, then you're probably gonna sound like dung - during the limited time the signal actually makes it to the amp.

That said, you'll be able to tell how much better those real PAF's sound than those $30 generic humbuckers by playing it through the Bogner than through a $50 Epiphone SS amp.
                Last edited by JacksonMIA; 12-16-2005, 11:16 AM.
                It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
                X