banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe to use EQ pedal, in the effects loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe to use EQ pedal, in the effects loop?

I play a Blackstar HT-20mkII combo, 20 watts, EL84...

I find that it's not really loud, even cranked. It doesn't have that "high mid" peak of a Fender amp, but it got alot of low end, and 200hz "woof"...

Is it OK if I use an EQ pedal in the effects loop, to take down some of the lows/200hz, and add some more high mids?

or can this somehow damage my amplifier.

I'm not talking about any major DB boost. .

Thanks,
    -E
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Definitely safe! EQs are just as common in the loop as in front.

Comment

I've used a GE7 in the loop of a few amps, mainly as a solo boost. Nothing to worry about.

Comment

I run my MXR eq though the loop as well.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Cool.

I hope this can give me... some few more db's of the amp ... aswell as voicing it a bit differently .

Going to get a Joyo 10-band EQ, (very satistifed with Joyo products) .

-Erl
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Boosting the signal might just distort and compress the power amp more, not really hurting anything but not giving the result you want (or, it might be super cool).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Boosting the signal might just distort and compress the power amp more, not really hurting anything but not giving the result you want (or, it might be super cool).
              Yeah, thought of that too...

Giving the poweramp the stock "woofed" 200hz strong signal- Or an EQ'ed "high mids" signal, will of course sound different!! :o

but I'm hoping for the best.

Sometimes I wish I had bought a 50'watter instead!! My 20 watts aren't loud at all, I'm sitting here playing, with the amp on a stand, with the speaker 10 inches from my ear. Cranked. And I don't get a hint of tinnitus or anything :/...

A drummer would DROWN this amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                Is it OK if I use an EQ pedal in the effects loop, to take down some of the lows/200hz, and add some more high mids?
                It is "okay" and the right way to do it if your goal is to rebalance the sound spectrum. Please note that EQ's are more effective at subtracting frequency content rather than adding what was not there to begin with. Volume is primarily dependent on the speaker cab (number of speakers, sensitivity, sound spectrum) rather than power amp wattage (assuming your amp is in full working order).

Comment

it's the best place to run it if you're using the amp's distortion!
                  Quality riffs in about a minute...
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

As was said, and it bears repeating, EQ pedals sounds best when set to cut frequency, boosting very much can lead to a filter sound, like a stuck wah pedal
                    So say you want 800hz boost (the tube screamer mids!), most eq pedals with sliders sounds better if you leave 800 hz and pull the other sliders down in a "frown shape" around it, and then adjust the level control up to add back volume, rather than say leave all sliders flat and just put 800hz up near the top of the slider position. Have fun

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                      As was said, and it bears repeating, EQ pedals sounds best when set to cut frequency, boosting very much can lead to a filter sound, like a stuck wah pedal
                      So say you want 800hz boost (the tube screamer mids!), most eq pedals with sliders sounds better if you leave 800 hz and pull the other sliders down in a "frown shape" around it, and then adjust the level control up to add back volume, rather than say leave all sliders flat and just put 800hz up near the top of the slider position. Have fun

​​​​​​
                      Or a snaggle toothed smile.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

This is how I set mine.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post

It is "okay" and the right way to do it if your goal is to rebalance the sound spectrum. Please note that EQ's are more effective at subtracting frequency content rather than adding what was not there to begin with. Volume is primarily dependent on the speaker cab (number of speakers, sensitivity, sound spectrum) rather than power amp wattage (assuming your amp is in full working order).
                          Yeah!

But an amplifier (and percieved loudness) is louder at .. 1000hz, than at 100hz .

Therefore I thought, I could make it "louder" by taking away low frequencies, and boosting the high mids, that "cut trough" and really gets heard. .

-Erl

Comment

Right beside the Master volume knob
                            where it says HT20
                            On the right is a red power on light
                            On the left is a black button
                            When it is pushed in the amp is a 2W amp
                            Un push that button

20 watt is way louder than you describe
                            and the woof will go away once it is a full 20 watts
                            Last edited by ehdwuld; 10-03-2020, 06:22 PM.
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Damned button!

Comment

Working...
                              X