I did something huge! NAD x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did something huge! NAD x2

So I’ve been upgrading my gear the last couple years, I decided it was time to get a real dream amp. Or two.

Built in noise gate, built in solo boost, switchable effects loop, 6 channels, 3 selectable power amp sections. Red box DI. There isn’t much it can’t do.

I can set it up to use 6L6’s for one channel, EL34’s for another and both together for a third. I can have the noise gate on some of the channels and the effects loop on others and it remembers these settings. I added some reverb and delay to the loop and man does it sound good. Yeah it not a clone of all the amps it covers, it’s H&K’s take on them. But it’s really good.

I’m gonna play around with some 6CA7’s, KT77’s, E34L’s, maybe some KT88’s on top of the 6L6’s and EL34’s it comes with since it’s adjustable and auto biasing. I can compare different output tubes in real time from the front panel. Imagine a 6L6, E34L and KT88 all running at once?

Maaaannnn holy crap enjoy that
    I love how H and K can sound so hi Fi for cleans while sounding freaking aggro as hell but smooth, singing, and juicy with the gain

I hear that they are loud and like to be loud
    And that they are as heavy as you think three amps in one would be

How does the little H&K compare to the big ones
    I liked what the Tm18 was going for but I thought the cleans were like a spikey thin version of greatness and pretty much same on the gain but 1) probably want playing it loud enough 2) didn't spend a whole ton of time with it 3) can't even remember what cab I played it through. Wanna say 112
    Last edited by FuseG4; 10-06-2020, 03:22 PM.

Comment

That's a heckuva amp stack. I love H&K's. I'm jealous.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
        How does the little H&K compare to the big ones
        I liked what the Tm18 was going for but I thought the cleans were like a spikey thin version of greatness and pretty much same on the gain but 1) probably want playing it loud enough 2) didn't spend a whole ton of time with it 3) can't even remember what cab I played it through. Wanna say 112
        I never messed with the tm18, my buddy has a combo version that sounds fine live though. I have had the tm5, tm20, tm40, gm40 and bs200. The deluxe versions have an updated cathode follower stage that sounds a little warmer, but they all sound better when I did some minor tube rolling with mullards and JJ’s rather than the stock tubes.

The speaker choice plays a big role as does cabinet as well but I find at volume in the mix the smaller amps sound fine. I have to cut through my other guitarists 6505+ and I like the H&K tone much better than the Marshall dsl or the Carvin V3 I was using a while back. Those got so lost in the mix I couldn’t get loud enough no matter what.

They are Hifi but I have been loving the clarity that the amp provides, and lately I have been choosing pickups for that as well. I would rather have clear full notes than buzzy fuzzy mush. Especially under gain. The triamp is even clearer and cleaner than the mini amps but brings it the louder it gets. It just covers so much ground.

Comment

Those look really....LOUD!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wow. Nice set up. Very nice.

Comment

Always loved the look of the Triamp front with that glowing script logo... Looks amazing!

I've never had the pleasure of playing one, have you found your favourite set of tones yet?

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                Always loved the look of the Triamp front with that glowing script logo... Looks amazing!

I've never had the pleasure of playing one, have you found your favourite set of tones yet?
                It does looks great, I added some removable casters to the cabinet this week too, gets it up off the floor a little and makes moving a 95lbs cab more bearable.

I have found some tones I really like but I need some time when nobodyÂ’s home to see how it sounds when cranked up. It does sound decent at low volumes though and the red box sounds pretty close to the cab through my frfr speaker.

Comment

Be careful when you crank them that you don't cause your foundation to crack.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

That is my kind of new amp day! Congrats on the amazing amps!!! I would love to compare the Mk3 head next to my TriAmp MkII, Duotone, and Puretone someday. I have a good friend that has one, and he speaks very highly of them.

Cole
                    Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Comment

So a little update:

My house fell over shortly after this was taken

Comment

Working...
                        X