DI Solutions That Work For You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For DI live, I use a SansAmp PSA-1

For DI recording, I mght go from my pedal board to a plain DI box to an I/O into the DAW; or if I want to use a head, I'll use my Weber MASS line out while monitoring through an actual speaker.

Comment

Yeah, the SansAmp stuff is really great. I've used a Trademark 10 & 60 for many direct-to-PA live shows, as well as a PSA-1, when I had one, years ago. The new model PSA-1 looks great, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have the Fly Rig 5 v2 now. It got delivered today. Still playing with it but I like what I have been able to do with it. It loves my pedals out front. I'll be rearranging my pedalboard later. Heck, I could run the 1/4 out to my amp's effects loop return to use it as a reference power amp on stage and run DI in live situations and at rehearsal just run DI. It may not have two channels like my amp does but with the Boost function, that covers one of the channels that I use for a boost anyway. I'll be using it at rehearsal tomorrow night.

Comment

Yeah, I am very happy with mine. It sounds great recorded, and direct to the PA live. It is a really great design.

Comment

OK, this Fly Rig 5 is a seriously cool unit. I used it at rehearsal last night. Got some cool sounds out of it. I like the Plexi better than the Cali setting but I ran the drive on the Plexi about half-way, sometimes less as I was tweaking things. The only pedal I ran in front of it was a Boss OD-3 Overdrive but next week I'm going to try the Soul Food with it. I'm still working on getting settings right for the dynamics I need. So far I like it and the rest of the bandmates like the clarity as well. I knew it was small but wow, it's smaller than my computer keyboard. Sure was nice walking in to rehearsal with a guitar and backpack.

Comment

I'm using an Avid Eleven Rack for years, both live and in the studio, controlled by a small Tech21 Midi Mongoose and a modded Cry Baby as expression pedal.
              No pedalboard.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                OK, this Fly Rig 5 is a seriously cool unit. I used it at rehearsal last night. Got some cool sounds out of it. I like the Plexi better than the Cali setting but I ran the drive on the Plexi about half-way, sometimes less as I was tweaking things. The only pedal I ran in front of it was a Boss OD-3 Overdrive but next week I'm going to try the Soul Food with it. I'm still working on getting settings right for the dynamics I need. So far I like it and the rest of the bandmates like the clarity as well. I knew it was small but wow, it's smaller than my computer keyboard. Sure was nice walking in to rehearsal with a guitar and backpack.
                Yeah, it is seriously cool. Tech 21 really got it right with these.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, it is seriously cool. Tech 21 really got it right with these.
                  They sure did. Been using it at rehearsal exclusively and I’m really happy with how it’s dialed in now. I sold the Soul Food so I’m using the OD-3 in front of it. Two actually. One is set with the drive all the way up and another in front of it with the drive all the way down and level around noon. Most of the time I don’t need the Plexi on the Fly Rig turned on, just the Sansamp with reverb and I use the delay during some leads. The Keeley Compressor works well with it too. I’m eyeing a 5150 Overdrive to use in place of the Boss overdrives. We’ll see.

Comment

I've tried the FR5 v2 and the RK5 v2, I really like the OMG drive on the RK5. I had one that quit working and sent it back but they didn't have any more in stock so I got a refund. Need to grab another one someday. I like my GT-1000, but I only use a few settings, could probably duplicate with the RK and a couple of pedals pretty easily.

Comment

I recently bought the Vox Mystic Edge, an AC 30 voiced pedal. It has a DI mode with a cabinet simulation. It's part of the Nutube based Vox Valvenergy line. I'm still getting used to it, but I like it so far.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I have the Flyrig 5 v2 also and love it. My usual rig is either a Marshall or Mesa, but played a couple of shows with the Flyrig earlier this year at small venues where load in and setup time was at a premium.

First was an oldies/funk band at a winery and the second was with a dirty rock band at a dive bar in Hollywood. Load in, setup and brief sound check needed to be 10-15 minutes between bands.

I liked how I could send the 1/4 output of the Flyrig going to a clean amp and cab onstage and in parallel also send the XLR out to the FOH PA. Giving the XLR out to the sound engineer let him quickly optimize the levels during our first numbers as the sound check time is so brief at those venues. Both the Plexi and Cali tones sound good, and could get into the ballpark of the tones I like to use. I think I prefer the real amp tones but in a band mix at a live show the Flyrig sounded good. I love that I can show up with a guitar, the Flyrig and a maybe couple of pedals and sound good. I also bring the Flyrig in my gig bag to every show or rehearsal, in case my main amp has issues I can just run the Flyrig through the PA.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyO View Post
                          I have the Flyrig 5 v2 also and love it. My usual rig is either a Marshall or Mesa, but played a couple of shows with the Flyrig earlier this year at small venues where load in and setup time was at a premium.

First was an oldies/funk band at a winery and the second was with a dirty rock band at a dive bar in Hollywood. Load in, setup and brief sound check needed to be 10-15 minutes between bands.

I liked how I could send the 1/4 output of the Flyrig going to a clean amp and cab onstage and in parallel also send the XLR out to the FOH PA. Giving the XLR out to the sound engineer let him quickly optimize the levels during our first numbers as the sound check time is so brief at those venues. Both the Plexi and Cali tones sound good, and could get into the ballpark of the tones I like to use. I think I prefer the real amp tones but in a band mix at a live show the Flyrig sounded good. I love that I can show up with a guitar, the Flyrig and a maybe couple of pedals and sound good. I also bring the Flyrig in my gig bag to every show or rehearsal, in case my main amp has issues I can just run the Flyrig through the PA.
                          This is exactly why I have mine. It has saved me a few times, and I feel doing a whole show with one and it, which doesn't feel like a compromise. I used the first version for years until the 2nd one came out.

Comment

I have yet to gig it this way, but I have rehearsed with my Line 6 hx stomp direct into the PA in the band. I was very pleased to say the least!

For use with the amp, I have it set up with some patches basically acting as extra stomp boxes to top up the rest of my board.

Alternatively I have a bunch of patches set up with amp models to duplicate my normal set up, but for doing direct/ampless. I originally envisioned this perhaps being a backup solution, or maybe for small gigs at a stretch. That said I was blown away when trying in rehearsal. Things are sadly on hold with gigging so it will have to wait, but as long as I am remembering things right with the sound quality, that plus the sheer convenience of it is brilliant.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X