Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new speakers

well, in light of recent events, i think it's time for new speakers

i love the swamps, but they just don't do it for me in the 2x12, and i'm done with the red white & blues (midrange is too metalish on them), so basically, i have a 4x12 with 2 swamps on the bottom, and the rest to work with

my narrowed options are

eminence governors (v30's)
    eminence wizards (g12h30's)
    celestion g12t75's

now when i had the 75's up top in the 2x12, they sounded really good, but at around 1/3rd power (that's all i got up to before i blew one... it was old) i could see a possibility of getting kinda shrill at higher volumes. But i never ACTUALLY witnessed it happen, just a theory with how they were reacting with the change in volume. At 1/3rd volume they sounded really good though

governors, if i'm correct on this (prolly not, i should just get a 5150 ) are more prone to shrillness than 75's, and i don't really like the sound of them up top anyways, they ARE an option but not one i'm particularly enthused about

wizards I DEFINATELY want in the top 2 spots of the 4x12. They just sound really great, true winners here, i just don't know how they'd sound alone in a 2x12. Maybe a combo of them & the 75's for the 2x12? i dunno

another option with the whole lacking bass thing in the 2x12 would be to rewire them with a bigger gauge, as the stock avatar gauge is pretty small, but i dunno how much this would help or what gauge to go with

so, any thoughts?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: new speakers

Wish I had experience with speakers. I don't even know what's in my 2x12, i just know the bass is sick-sick-6

-X
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

you ammuse the crap outta me, bro

Comment

If you like the basic sound of the 75's, try the Emi ManOWar's. They rock. Plus the governors shouldn't be harsh at all. Rolled off highs without the upper mid spike of the V30. I've heard the Texas Heats are killer too. What kind of music are you playing through them?? Also, the Emi tonespotter is supposed to be a good choice as well.

Comment

did you find your missing speakers?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

apparently he hid them unter the front seats of yher plymouth & they got jacked which is beluieveble cuz it's a ****ty neightborhood. I dfrank a lot. OK good suggestions buk let's keep this train a trollin

and i play rockabilyl, stoner rock (classic rock) and psuchobilly

Comment

The governors are the least shrill out of all the speakers I tried and that is why I have them up top in the 4x12. The Manowar sounds great but is a higher spectrum compared to the low resonant frequency of the g12t75 and it has more mids than the Celestion. I just ordered 2 texas heats to compare to the manowar and the g12t75. I did some sound clips of a bunch of Eminence speakers and sold the Texas heat but regreted it. It is a lower frequency than the g12t75 and is a little less annoying in its highs but breaks up less. The Wizards break up the best out of all of them and is similar to the g12t75 in its highs and is louder at 103db thus making it a best placed on the bottom of a cab. The Wizard is also a lower frequency to the swamp thang but they compliment each other great. My only thing was with 2 4x12 cabs the volumes were drastically different because the cab with the wizards and swamp thangs was way louder than the cab with g12t75/governor/manowar.

You got questions? I have answers that have made me bankrupt from all these damn speaker purchases. LOL
              My bands links:

PEDL
              www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
              www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
              www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

ok. Rob i got your pm & appreciate the 2 different essays of reccomendation

avatar cabs have a problem with getting a lot of lows, and when i'm doin rock i like a real warm smooth sound, but once again i need that top extension for rockabilly & such.

the SPL vs the swamp & wizard i'm not TOO worried about because the swamps are 102, only 1db quieter. But i really want the wizards to be heard, and in a 6x12 it's sometimes hard to get the 4x12 "out there". If i use g12t75's in the 2x12 i'm not too worried about it cuz of the low efficiency but if i go with even 1 v30/governor i think i'm gonna hafta pair it with a wizard, i like a real chimey sound up top & then a lot of dirt on bottom

for right now i think i'm gonna keep the '75s up top & see how it sounds with 2 wizards in the 4x12

Comment

there is a huge thread over on The Gear Page forum regarding the newer Eminences ... that might be worth checking out

or email Dave @ Avatar, and ask for a recommendation

they have so many models that I can't keep up, but you should be able to find one that's just right
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X