Friedman or Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friedman or Marshall?

I've been eyeing the SC20, Runt 20 and JJ-JR amps, I like the sound of all 3 and can't really decide which one to get, I'd like to hear some of your inputs if you have experience with them, ideally i would play them side by side, but that's not really possible at the moment.

I would think there is a lot of overlap between them. My favorite Friedman is a Dirty Shirley, but that sound is possible with some of their higher-gain amps, too...just don't put the gain so high.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It depends on what your core tone chase is. The JJ is nice and would be my choice hands down out of what you listed. If I were looking for something in that price range I would grab the new EVH 50 watt stealth. Another option would be a PRS Archon and pound for pound the best amp for the money is the PRS MT-15. The PRS amps are sleeper amps but both are fantastic!
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

^Are you actually Reinhold Bogner, or are you just using "Bogner" as a username?

Anyways, the only one of the low-watt Friedmans I've played is the PT-20, but I've actually played one of those side-by-side with an SC20, and IMO, the SC20 absolutely murdered the PT. The PT was a good but somewhat generic high-gain sound; the SC actually sounds and feels like an old 2203, with that classic crunch and immediacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
          It depends on what your core tone chase is. The JJ is nice and would be my choice hands down out of what you listed. If I were looking for something in that price range I would grab the new EVH 50 watt stealth. Another option would be a PRS Archon and pound for pound the best amp for the money is the PRS MT-15. The PRS amps are sleeper amps but both are fantastic!
          Spent some time with a Runt really like the little amp!! The Friedmans are very nice amps every one I have played sound fantastic and are very well built. Agree with the PRS amps own both a MT 15 and a Archon 50 head and am now well past any honeymoon period with both. They still inspire me every time i play through them. Agree on the MT 15 being the best bang for the buck new amp in the market. However my Archon is just a monster the warm smooth and full cleans to the amazingly dynamic and expressive high gain it just blows me away. I honestly cant think of anything I would rather own than the Archon..
          Last edited by Ascension; 10-19-2020, 09:20 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I don't know what it is with EVH amps but they just sound way too compressed to my ears

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

I don't know what it is with EVH amps but they just sound way too compressed to my ears
              Have you tried the new 50 watt stealth? To me it is a much better amp.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Have you tried the new 50 watt stealth? To me it is a much better amp.
                it sounds good, but still has the EVH sound, a bit too compressed for my taste, i prefer something a bit more open

Comment

I owned and have played a BE-100 Deluxe side by side with the JCM (2204, 50 watts) and ** I ** much, much preferred the Marshall. The Friedman feels big and polished and like something to behold in ways but it felt smoother and more polite than the Marshall did, which wasn't what I wanted, so I sold it. I love the sounds others get with them, but in the room, for what I like, the Marshall was the keeper for me. Some get it, some would call me crazy. I'm fine with both. Dave said on another forum that it could do the JJ sound and posted some settings. It did. I tried them and it sounded great but I went back to the Marshall every time for that thing they do that just works the way I like. I haven't tried the Runt but no doubt you'd enjoy any Friedman most likely. They're great, just not what I wanted.

Someone mentioned the EVH Stealth. I adore the blue channel on it. Compared to the red channel, it's far less compressed and really open sounding. I feel like I remember it being pretty open on the regular 50 watters as well. I didn't like it on the EL34 I had as much. I play it next to a JCM 800 often and it doesn't feel a lot more compressed to my ears. It's nothing like the red channel at least, which is very compressed. Both are incredible amps.

I usually end up back on the EVH when playing both because it's got a clean channel (depending on your idea of a good clean, I like it fine) and a lot more aggression without pedals. I don't even use pedals with it. But the blue channel pushed and a JCM pushed are just beyond words to me. lol Not sure any of that helps, but good luck, you can't go wrong with any of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Semetery View Post
                    I owned and have played a BE-100 Deluxe side by side with the JCM (2204, 50 watts) and ** I ** much, much preferred the Marshall. The Friedman feels big and polished and like something to behold in ways but it felt smoother and more polite than the Marshall did, which wasn't what I wanted, so I sold it. I love the sounds others get with them, but in the room, for what I like, the Marshall was the keeper for me. Some get it, some would call me crazy. I'm fine with both. Dave said on another forum that it could do the JJ sound and posted some settings. It did. I tried them and it sounded great but I went back to the Marshall every time for that thing they do that just works the way I like. I haven't tried the Runt but no doubt you'd enjoy any Friedman most likely. They're great, just not what I wanted.

Someone mentioned the EVH Stealth. I adore the blue channel on it. Compared to the red channel, it's far less compressed and really open sounding. I feel like I remember it being pretty open on the regular 50 watters as well. I didn't like it on the EL34 I had as much. I play it next to a JCM 800 often and it doesn't feel a lot more compressed to my ears. It's nothing like the red channel at least, which is very compressed. Both are incredible amps.

I usually end up back on the EVH when playing both because it's got a clean channel (depending on your idea of a good clean, I like it fine) and a lot more aggression without pedals. I don't even use pedals with it. But the blue channel pushed and a JCM pushed are just beyond words to me. lol Not sure any of that helps, but good luck, you can't go wrong with any of them!
                    allright maybe i'll check out the EVH some more, would be nice to also have a clean channel in the same amp, but so far the EVH sounds fizzier and more scooped and compressed compared to the JCM, maybe i've been checking out the wrong videos though.

Comment

Well, fizzy and scooped should be able to be affected by the tone controls on the amp. Maybe all the videos sound like that because the people recording them think that that's how the amp should sound, so they dial them in that way.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

it sounds good, but still has the EVH sound, a bit too compressed for my taste, i prefer something a bit more open
                        What are some amps you do like and I can point you in that direction.

Comment

Friedman Marshall is the only answer.

Comment

What are some amps you do like and I can point you in that direction.
                            my favorite amp so far is probably the JMP 2203/2204 but it's too heavy, too big and too loud for me at the moment.

ideally i'd have a 2channel (clean and crunch) amp combo/head with a nice master volume and not too big/heavy, but i'd settle for a 1channel amp that cleans up nicely with the volume knob.
                            Last edited by Reee; 10-25-2020, 06:06 PM.

Comment

For starters......tone wise...do any of these float your boat?

David Bray
                              Germino
                              Roccaforte
                              Friedman Dirty Shirley
                              Bogner Helios
                              Metropolous Metro-plex
                              Wizard

Comment

Working...
                              X