Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Bassman 135 VS. Twin Reverb

High Power Fender question :

Using the same speakers, how close can a Bassman 135 get (tone wise) to a Twin Reverb of the same year ?
    Can the 135 act as a decent substitute for a Twin Reverb ?
    Does any one have any experience with a Bassman 135 ?

Thanks
    Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Generally, I think a Bassman tends to have more mids than a Twin generally- a big deal might be the speakers more than the circuit.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Generally, I think a Bassman tends to have more mids than a Twin generally- a big deal might be the speakers more than the circuit.
      Thanks Mincer

So, if the Bassman is more mids . . . is it correct to assume that the Twin Reverb is scooped with more low end and highs ? (compared to the Bassman, off course)

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post

Thanks Mincer

So, if the Bassman is more mids . . . is it correct to assume that the Twin Reverb is scooped with more low end and highs ? (compared to the Bassman, off course)
        Absolutely.
        The transformers are different, too, so the Bassman would break up earlier and start that great power tube distortion earlier. Twins only distort at their highest ranges, which you can't really be in the same room as it is way too loud. But man, a Twin sounds so good.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This is not that kind of bassman, I believe
          this is a bassman 135 and has an ultralinear power amp if I'm not mistaken, a silverface design that's supposed to go clean to absurd volumes and I hear they sound good for bass

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Absolutely.
            The transformers are different, too, so the Bassman would break up earlier and start that great power tube distortion earlier. Twins only distort at their highest ranges, which you can't really be in the same room as it is way too loud. But man, a Twin sounds so good.
            I would love to run my '66 Bassman (AB165) in stereo with a black face Twin Reverb !!!

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
              This is not that kind of bassman, I believe
              this is a bassman 135 and has an ultralinear power amp if I'm not mistaken, a silverface design that's supposed to go clean to absurd volumes and I hear they sound good for bass
              YUP . . . that's the one.

Comment

I hear that they do sound very fendery but no reverb obviously... And that the normal channel is plenty good for guitar if loud cleans is what you want, sounds like you've got an idea what you're looking at
                ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  I hear that they do sound very fendery but no reverb obviously... And that the normal channel is plenty good for guitar if loud cleans is what you want, sounds like you've got an idea what you're looking at
                  ​​​​​
                  YUP . . . would love to use it as a much cheaper Twin Reverb alternative.

Comment

My Bassman 100B is a monster for guitar, it reminds me a lot of my old Randall orange stripe. Very tight clear and articulate.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      My Bassman 100B is a monster for guitar, it reminds me a lot of my old Randall orange stripe. Very tight clear and articulate.
                      Thanks . . . will deff keep that in mins.

Comment

the bassman 100 and 135 are fairly similar. both are different from the older bf & sf bassman heads which have an extra tube on the bass channel. the ultralinear bassman and twin arent that different on the normal channels. big loud and clean

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          the bassman 100 and 135 are fairly similar. both are different from the older bf & sf bassman heads which have an extra tube on the bass channel. the ultralinear bassman and twin arent that different on the normal channels. big loud and clean
                          Really good news . .. thank you very much Jeremy

Comment

Working...
                          X