Hot Switching Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Switching Cabinet

Would it hurt the output transformer on an amp if I switched from one 8 ohm cabinet to another 8 ohm cabinet while playing? Assuming I had the cabinets wired up with a switch and just stepped on it to toggle from a "solo" 10" speaker cabinet to a "rhythm" 8" speaker cabinet. Would there be a small amount of time when switching from one to the other where there may be no load?

Re: Hot Switching Cabinet

What Exactly are you planning to use for a switch? I think Weber makes a switch that will do this? But you Can't/shouldn't do this with your typical A/B switch box. Those are for passive signals. I can't Imagine what a speaker load would do to one of them or your amp? Something NOT GOOD !
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
      What Exactly are you planning to use for a switch? I think Weber makes a switch that will do this? But you Can't/shouldn't do this with your typical A/B switch box. Those are for passive signals. I can't Imagine what a speaker load would do to one of them or your amp? Something NOT GOOD !
      Thanks. I guess my idea won't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday
        Thanks. I guess my idea won't work.
        It sure would work. Just get a Tonebone Cabbone pedal and it'll switch between cabinets safely. I've never used one, nor do I know anyone who has...but it's an option nonetheless.

Comment

Steve Stevens does this and talks about it in an interview I linked recently. Look in the pickup forum for my post on Stevens.
          Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

In theory, I think it wouldn't hurt an amp. The only issue is that speaker cables have less resistance than a guitar cable, and possibly an A/B switch in the link would add resistance, sorta like a guitar cable.

Maybe that Tonebone Cabbone pedal would be something to look into, and an Email to them might clear up why their pedal is superior to a regular A/B pedal.
            It seems to me that an A/B switch is nothing more than a connection, so it wouldn't make any difference. It's probably a question for customer service at Radial.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I never thought of switching from one cab to another..... from www.axess-electronics.com i bought the HS2 that allows you to safey switch between two tube heads into a single cab....... Maybe Mario at Axess could help you with this cab switching question..... he has built rigs for a lot of famous guys.... Even EVH uses his buffers..... Alex Lifeson, Peter Frampton....

Comment

I've been over on Aaron's stompbox forum asking about an A/B box for two amps, one with an effects loop and one without. Even with that, the consensus seems to be (1) I'm a NOOB, and (2) my application requires buffers and isolated outputs.

I know that running the wrong speaker load, or god forbid no load, can torch an amp. IMHO you should buy something from a VERY reputable source like Weber or ToneBone to do this switching. That instant while the switching occurs could be a disaster otherwise.

Chip
                Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Working...
                X