No announcement yet.

New Amp Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you swapped tubes yet? I'd be interested to hear any follow-up thoughts on the tube change and/or the amp in-general.
    I'm always more interested in reviews after a month or two at least.

One option you have with this amp is to blend two different pairs of power tubes, provided both pairs are within the same family (6l6 vs el34).
    For example,,,,,,,,You could run a pair of mesa str445(6L6) with a pair of mesa str440(6L6) together when in 100w power-mode.

They have several models of 6L6, you just must keep them ran in pairs.
    (inner tube sockets for one pair, outside sockets for the other pair) (same rule as the color codes)

You can do the same thing within the EL34 family also. (making sure the switch on back is set correctly for the tube type)
    Do these come stock with the str447? (mesa-branded EH-el34)
    Last edited by dave74; 11-27-2020, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Have you swapped tubes yet? I'd be interested to hear any follow-up thoughts on the tube change and/or the amp in-general.
      I'm always more interested in reviews after a month or two at least.

One option you have with this amp is to blend two different pairs of power tubes, provided both pairs are within the same family (6l6 vs el34).
      For example,,,,,,,,You could run a pair of mesa str445(6L6) with a pair of mesa str440(6L6) together when in 100w power-mode.

They have several models of 6L6, you just must keep them ran in pairs.
      (inner tube sockets for one pair, outside sockets for the other pair) (same rule as the color codes)

You can do the same thing within the EL34 family also. (making sure the switch on back is set correctly for the tube type)
      Do these come stock with the str447? (mesa-branded EH-el34)
      I haven't swapped tubes in it yet but will eventually. The amp is great as is and is full of some great sounds. I have been most surprised with more of the mid gain tones. I lean towards heavy tones and still hang there but the mid gain, rock type tones have been a pleasant surprise to me. The cleans are nice. The reverb is great. I have some amazing reverb pedals but could see using the reverb as an additional pedal in some situations. The power scaling feature is very nice. I was surprised how similar the amp sounded in the various wattage selections. Very nice feature there for a few reasons that are probably obvious so I won't rant there. I have not tried it for recording nor have I used the cab clone. I have just run it through traditional 4x12 cabs. Seems to work nicely with the various cabs I have played it through. It is articulate and chugs nicely which is my main priority. I love using two amps in a set up and have not done so yet with this amp. I can see it playing nice with other amps. The controls have a little bit of weirdness to them but nothing like the Mark IV or other amps. You do have to be careful not to go too extreme on anything as it will radically effect the sound. All that said, it is easy to dial in a nice usable tone. Just adjust with your ears and not your eyes. In all truth, I found a super nice tone and when I really looked at all the settings I would have never guess that those settings would deliver what they did on any other amp but they worked for this one.

Overall, I am very happy with the amp and have no regrets on picking it up. It has put me somewhat on a Boogie kick again. I used Boogie decades ago pretty much exclusively and drifted away. I have always liked them but just went down some different paths and used other amps. Now I want to go back and get all the amps I used to have (good luck there) and get a couple others. If I had to have one amp to cover a lot of sonic ground and musical styles, this is an amp that can certainly do so.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Yes it really is one of the good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
          Yes it really is one of the good ones.
          Absolutely. In some circles it gets slagged but I don't know why. I find it to be a solid amp through and through. Now I am looking for a Tremoverb, Chrome panel Recto, Low serial Recto, Mark III, Mark IV and a couple of Petrucci's.

Additionally I am always looking for a VHT or Fryette Ultra Lead w/eq

If anybody has these and or knows of them being available please let me know.
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Working...
          X