banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to mod my Blackstar's gain knob? To alter it's range.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to mod my Blackstar's gain knob? To alter it's range.

Hey everyone,

I spend alot of time playing trough the OD channel of my Blackstar HT-20mkII.

Thing is, the amp has a "ton" of gain, I'd say the tone is fully saturated when the gain knob is at noon.

At the same time, I want to dial in a "low-gain" tone, and then I need to turn the gain knob almost all the way down. And the sweet spot is very, very sensitive. Just a tiny touch, and there's no volume, a hair more- and it's too much gain.

So I usually adjust my guitar's volume down, to clean up the sound. This makes the change over to clean channel too quiet... :/

As I guess the gain knob is "just" a potentiometer- could I send the amp to a tech, and change the potentiometer value? Or add a resistor in series? or something-

So that I get more "useable travel" from the knobs range.

Just a thought.

-Erlend \m/
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

You may be able to get a wider range of tones by changing your pre-amp tubes to lower gain tubes such as 12at7, 12ay7 and 5751. This will give your gain knob a wider range. My friend inherited two Fender Vibro Champs with 12ax7's and they distorted at whisper volumes. So I changed out the tubes to 12at7 and a 5751 and they had a much wider and gradual range of tones.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 10-28-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
      You may be able to get a wider range of tones by changing your pre-amp tubes to lower gain tubes such as 12at7, 12ay7 and 5751. This will give your gain knob a wider range. My friend inherited two Fender Vibro Champs with 12ax7's and they distorted at whisper volumes. So I changed out the tubes to 12at7 and a 5751 and they had a much wider and gradual range of tones.
      I got a TAD 5751 laying around in my mothers house. I still haven't brought it here, or tried to put it in. (V1 slot, right?) -

I ordered it because I thought it might adress this issue. My clean channel's "gain" control goes really far too.

-Erl
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I didn't put in the 5751 when I got it, because my uncle (who studied to be an electrician engineer) got a complete hissy-fit over it. :/

He said it would destroy my amplifier, and all kinds of stuff... :o

So it's still in the box it came in. I'll get mother to bring it over next time she vists .

Comment

I seem to be using the OD channel- with the gain turned almost completely down- for most everything I do.

It's so much warmer, thicker- more compressed and harmonically rich than the clean channel. It will be clean when I play softly, then break up in that organic warm way, that "only tubes" can do .

Problem is setting the knob in the "sweet spot" :/. As just the slightest touch brings me out of where I want to be...

I'll try the 5751 when I get it here. I hope it doesn't sound "dull", as some people say they might do! :o .

-E

Comment

I'm gonna buy a volume pedal for christmas present (to myself)-

that will help me control the overall volume and breakup .

Though... the gain control is just stupid. I can't hear a difference, if I run it at noon or cranked. :o . I guess the amp is made to provide "sufficient" saturation even for low-output pickups.-. but I got a pair of rather hot P90's. :/

Well, I guess I'll find a way \m/

Comment

I would try a 5751 in the second position. 5751's are compatible with the entire 12__7 line of tubes. Just a different gain factor.

Comment

I wonder if a Jet City RetroValve Blue would do the trick. That is, if you can find one.

Comment

Did you bring back your 5751?

Comment

Here's an idea

Use the od channel when you want gain
                    Then when you want lower gain

Wait for it

Use the OTHER Channel

So much easier
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                      Here's an idea

Use the od channel when you want gain
                      Then when you want lower gain

Wait for it

Use the OTHER Channel

So much easier
                      well... there is so much "overlap" between the channels, it's not doable

I'll get the 5751 at my mothers house, and try it in both V2 and V1 .

Anything from 3/4 to full gain (either channel) doesn't get me anywhere

-Erl

Comment

I'll ask mother to find it tomorrow . No hassle!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5dc42a843afd37482d7122c7?width=700.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	6030049

This mechanical device will alter tube gain when properly applied.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

This mechanical device will alter tube gain when properly applied.
                            lol... "properly applied". I KNOW YOU GUYS!!! XD

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

This mechanical device will eliminate gain when properly applied.
                              Fixed

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X