No announcement yet.

Blackstar Ht-20mkII - "balance" control/ variable resistor on PCB? :o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe . Okay. I was misinformed, since I had read, that maximum output for an EL84 was 8,6 watts. Thank you for correcting me!

I love the sound, when the power amp starts adding additional harmonics, shimmer, warmth and compression- just before breakup. Also I love the tone of the amp cranked, even cranked with a bit of boost. (It starts to get square-wave , splattery and fuzz like. Don't know if it's really "good for the amp", but it sounds a million bucks).

I was originally after an Ampeg combo, a 6V6 amp with spring reverb, and switchable 15w/7,5w power. But Ampeg only made that amp a short time, then discontinued it-
    when I had saved enough money, it was nowhere to be bought. It sounded ... 1000 times better than my Blackstar, from youtube clips. Can't even compare. But hey, the Blackstar does make a sound, and it's (to my ears) tons better, than any solid state or modeling amp. .

If I ever get the money, I'll get a PTP wired Princeton Reverb clone. But I'll survive with the Blackstar so long. Takes some time to learn how to adjust my EHX Allied Overdrive pedal- even minute changes to gain, volume, blend and EQ- gives a really different sound. I often leave it on, all the time... when I turn it off, I'm left with a... distant, scooped, wierd tone! . hehe.

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
      Hehe . Okay. I was misinformed, since I had read, that maximum output for an EL84 was 8,6 watts. Thank you for correcting me!

Nahhh, you're good. 8.6 watts is very practical as it's much easier on the tubes. My 50 watts (4 x EL84) have fans inside so they can do that, but they still burn up the EL84's crazy fast.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I have considered getting one of those small attuentators, that you mount inside the cabinet of a combo amp. So that I can get a cranked tone, at recording volumes.

There's this small model, with holes for screwing it onto the amplifier, inside where the speaker is.

...money is the issue as always .
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

...also, tube wear is a slight issue. My economy is now organized- so that every penny goes to pay old debt and bills; and I have only enough to feed myself, if I buy cheap meals.

So, having to change tubes all of a sudden, would set me back. In worst case, I would be amp-less until I saved up. I guess I'd buy a replacement pair, while I still got my savings .

Comment

I have stopped looking for cranked tone at bedroom volumes because too much of it is the speaker and cab being loud, so I've told myself to just be satisfied with the sounds I can get and know that I sound much better when louder.
            Attenuation can help a little but will completely feel stiff and sound thin unless you get some volume.
            I would definitely get a backup power tube set though When you notice the bass notes on the clean channel get distorted you know a tube is just about dead.
            or I replace them if they are ringing loudly

Comment

My Bugera G5 sounds totally different at one watt
              than it does at five
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
              X