What amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What amp?

Inspired by the "What pickups do you want to try" thread, what amps would any of you like to try? And not what you have tried, owned, borrowed, etc.
    Just what amp that you haven't ever played through, would you like to try. Preferably, give your reasons why..
    Me, I would like to try an old school Diezel Herbert full stack. Just to hear in person what that bad boy would sound like with an X2N hitting the front.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

I would like to try a Friedman JJ Junior. I just think it would sound really cool.
    Also an H and K Triamp mkiii. Lots going on there. Probably fun messing around with all those knobs.

Comment

I want to spend some time with one of the new Soldano SLO 30's. LOVE the SLO but just have no where i could ever play a 100 watter. The clips i have heard of the 30 are jaw dropping!
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I'd like to try

Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier - played a dual in the shop in 1994 and was the closest to a 1968 Plexi I've ever heard, but it couldn't do cleans
        Mesa had some mini / half heads a few year back, can't remember the name; something like Atlantic? or some geographic name? am I mixing up my brands?
        Marshall Vintage Modern - sounds versatile, want to try it. I have a KT66 JTM45, want to compare
        Marshall Super Lead 100 (never owned one, but it's the grail, isn't it?)
        Marshall DSL 40 1x12 combo (want to evaluate this as a gigging amp)
        Bogner 100 watt (don't remember model names, whatever they got; just to compare to Marshall 100)
        Freidman 100 watt (don't remember model names, whatever they got; just to compare to Marshall 100)
        Reeves 100 watt PT type (4 gain controls, 2 tone. Have a Hiwatt 100, want to compare)
        Hughes & Kettner > 40 watt, something higher than EL84 tubes; don't know what these sound like other than Rush recordings. want to play through it
        EVH 5150 EL34 - want to find out what's same/different vs Marshall
        Fender '68 Custom Deluxe - seemed like a great recipe with a Bassman channel and a Deluxe channel, want to see how much music I can get out of it
        Fender Blackface Deliuxe - another holy grailI haven't tried
        Fender '59 Bassman 4x10 - another holy grail I haven't tried
        Fender Vibrolux 3x10- another holy grail I haven't tried
        Peavey Windsor - wondering what this is like, looked like a kind of Marshall, but want to hear one
        Peavey Penta - ditto, what's diff between this and the Windsor
        Epiphone Century or Zephyr - Les Paul, Charlie Christian, want to try it
        Vox Brian May Deacy - have a Red Special, need a Deacy, of course
        Supro (the smallest bugger) - have a '60 Les Paul RI, need to try Zep I on this
        Dumble (yeah why not. want to hear one in person)
        Last edited by beaubrummels; 11-14-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

A proper 50's tweed, or 60's blackface Fender.

It would be interesting to try a modern-gain type amp, but generally modern drive leaves me wanting the nice full midrange of vintage OD.

Comment

I want to see what this fender tone master business is about

I would love to play a HK triamp half stack
            ​​​​​​ and a cranked or120 half stack

Matchless and bad cat both struck me as cool looking and sounding great whenever I have seen/heard them, but never got to test drive either brand.

And a real old school Princeton Reverb would be sweet

and a jubilee half stack. When I was a teen I got into Bad Religion and 3/4 times I saw them live I stood in the front row, in front of Brian Baker's jube and I freaking love it.

Also fender vibro king, the last several years I think Ron wood has been sounding good and I've heard his vibro kings live many times now and they rock. I like his tone more than Keith's modern tones

Comment

I want to play the new SLO100 next to my Soldano HR100+ and hear if the mojo is still there in the newer SLO's .
              But 4k is a little stiff for me right now so I will have to wait .

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                I want to spend some time with one of the new Soldano SLO 30's. LOVE the SLO but just have no where i could ever play a 100 watter. The clips i have heard of the 30 are jaw dropping!
                They sound great but I can't see paying 3k for an amp with tube sockets PCB mounted .
                And there is actually a second PCB that mounts across the rear panel connecting all the jacks .
                Don't get rough at gigs using the rear jacks or you will be in for repairs real quick .

Comment

Diezel VH4
                  https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

For some reason, amps don't interest me as much as pedals and guitars. I get a good clean sound with reverb and I am happy.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If I ever win a scratch-off, I'll have one of these in my stable: (HiWatt DR504C212)

Comment

I wish I could have my old 60 something Bassman back.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          I'd like to try

Peavey Windsor - wondering what this is like, looked like a kind of Marshall, but want to hear one
                          Peavey Penta - ditto, what's diff between this and the Windsor
                          ​​​​​​Going a bit OT, I know.

The Windsor is definitely a Marshall clone. JTM thru JCM 900 depending on which gain channel you plug into.

The Penta, is like an all tube Vypyr. 5 distinct tones, but all tube. It weighs a ton. Worse to move than my JSX 212 combo. I think there may be two output transformers in there so Peavey can get all those tones. Fender cleans, Fender breakup, Marshall breakup, Marshall distortion and Peavey Triple XXX gain. Peavey's miss on the Penta was not including an effects loop. I will add one to mine, eventually.
                          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            This. Soldanos are rare around here, but I got to play a HR 50+ an odd decade ago, and it remains the most glorious guitar sound I have ever achieved. I need to get my act together financially first, but if the new ones have the same roar in them I am definitely getting one.

Beyond that... Rockman? I am not particularly interested in new tones, since the stuff I am already playing through is so good. I might add an Axe-FX III to the list, though, if it even counts.

Comment

Rockman? I need to go check the 2017 thread....
                              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                              X