banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hardly anyone seems to be sticking to the same brand of tubes in their amps??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardly anyone seems to be sticking to the same brand of tubes in their amps??

hi, it seems to me that not many people have the same brand of tubes throughout the whole of their amps. why is this? what are the advantages/ disadvantages of this?

people also seem to be mixing different preamp tubes and power amp tubes?? i am new to tubes so please forgive my questions.

i am thinking of ordering 2 svetlana refelctors el34 tubes to accompany a yet to be decided 12x7 in my power amp. i also need 2 12x7 tubes to go in my pre amp. any suggestions? are the svetlanas i am thinking of ordering any good? i play mostly metal. i don;t want vintage tone nor do i want totally modern tone. thanks
    Michael Kelly Patriot Black w/Rockfield Fat Ass set
    Roland Microcube

Rotosound Strings

Shure SM57 mic
    Dunlop Jazz III and Ultex Picks

Re: hardly anyone seems to be sticking to the same brand of tubes in their amps??

Most folks like to experiment with different tubes to find their own signature sound- we are called 'tube tweekers' and it's almost an addiction, always in search of the ultimate tone that we have in our head- after a while, most folks stumble upon the combination that works best for them.
    You may want to check this site for info about tubes- its a great place to start
    Last edited by marvar; 12-17-2005, 09:42 AM.
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Re: hardly anyone seems to be sticking to the same brand of tubes in their amps??

some brands make the best EL84s, others make the best EL34s, or others make the best 6L6s, but there isn't really one brand that makes the best everything

preamp tubes vary so much that the best way to find the best tone is to have a few different brands and experiment
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
        some brands make the best EL84s, others make the best EL34s, or others make the best 6L6s, but there isn't really one brand that makes the best everything

preamp tubes vary so much that the best way to find the best tone is to have a few different brands and experiment
        Great post and Curly is 100% correct on his findings and they are my findings also..
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

In your opinions, who does make the best "which" tube--like who makes the best 12AX7, best EL34 etc....
          My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
          or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
          http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
          700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by 75lespaul
            In your opinions, who does make the best "which" tube--like who makes the best 12AX7, best EL34 etc....
            that's such a general question, and tone is subjective, amps differ, etc, etc ...

so I'd suggest reviewing the info at guitar amp blueprinting and Watford Valves, and get on Lord Valve's mailing list. Lord Valve is good because he has less vested interest, is opinionated, and tests his tubes

my short list would include:

6V6 - JJs
            El84s - JJs
            6L6s - TAD short bottles
            12AX7s - Sovtek LPS, JJs (both versions), Chinese 9th gen.

I won't comment on EL34s, since I don't have any EL34 amps

that's not considering NOS tubes, either
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

6L6 vs 6V6, whats the difference?
              "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Since you said you like metal check this thread out. It has reviews on a bunch of different 12ax7 pre-amp tubes. https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=42048
                Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                Fender Frontman 15g
                Cry Baby
                Boss DS-2
                Boss CE-3
                Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
                  6L6 vs 6V6, whats the difference?
                  Two completely different sounding power tubes. 6V6 are lower voltage tubes. They have a different break up tone than 6L6's. A 2x6L6 amp normally kicks out more power (35-40 watts) 6V6x2 closer to 20 watts.

The difference tonally between a Deluxe Reverb (6v6) and a Pro or Super Reverb (6L6). DR melts down so smoothly at lower volumes.

FWIW, there are still a lot of great NOS 6V6 tubes available at reasonable prices. For new, the JJ seem to sound the best. For NOS, I love the Brimar 6V6.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

For me, it boils down to whatever tubes I think sound best in that particular amp. I don't even run the same type of EL34s in my two amps that take 'em.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                    My Music

Comment

Working...
                    X