Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fillmore 25 Alternative(s)

Good day,

I'm in the market for a good 6v6 amp (prolly 6v6).
    What I want is Blackface-style cleans, but somewhat vintage-y overdrive that is tight and smooth without being harsh.

I found the Mesa Fillmore 25, but was wondering if there were other similar amps that will do a good late 70s/early 80s rock and SRV-style blues, but also deliver a decent approximation of classic blackface cleans.

I'm not against a speaker swap (I use currently use a 1x12" with a Celestion V-Type), but would prefer not to. Fender uses the V-Type for their '68 Custom Reverb and I really liked it's clean tone, but the overdrive wasn't to my taste personally.

I would prefer a head vs a combo, the budget is $2K, and wattage limit (lowest amp setting) is 30W because of the attenuator I ordered.

Thanks for the tips and advice!
    GreatOz
    Last edited by GreatOz; 11-21-2020, 06:35 PM.

The Mesa Blue Angel is another great choice. It comes in a 4x10, 2x10 or 1-12" varieties. It is like a Blackface mixed with a Vox, with maybe even more mids.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, I found a Fillmore 25 on sale and ordered it today. It'll get here soon, and I know it'll handle everything I throw at it.

Comment

Congrats. Sounds like it will make a good amp for what you are trying to do with it. Played a couple of them nice rigs.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

They seem like fantastic amps.

Comment

Interested to hear what you think about it. Please do a video or soundclip with pics.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Interested to hear what you think about it. Please do a video or soundclip with pics.
              I will when I get the time, I'll have to set myself a reminder about it at some point lol. If I remember, I'll compare it to the Blackstar (same microphone positions). Plan is to record with an e906 and an SM57, pretty classic mic combo.

Comment

Update: the Mesa comes in on Saturday.

But the Ironman II Mini attenuator came in and I'm actually surprised at how good it helps even the Blackstar I have now.

The clean was a little better, but the overdrive is actually quite a bit better; tighter, more focused, more harmonic, and strangely clearer-sounding, despite the power tubes being overdriven. Kinda difficult to describe.

Will post sound clips around the same time as the Mesa.

Comment

Cool stuff, man! Mesa's are great!!
                  If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I was going to recommend the Revv D20 (or G20 if you want more gain), but looks like you already ordered the Mesa.

Comment

Working...
                    X