X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New speakers for Carvin Belair

1st the current speakers sound fine
    they are the Carvin 100 watt VL series from 2000

The trouble is they are 8 ohm each and wired in parallel making for a 4 ohm load

The amp has a switch for 4-8-16 so that's cool

My attenuation device wants an 8 ohm load

And I may want to plug in another cab at some point

Carvin doesn't offer these speakerspeakers anymore
    and what they have are all 8 ohm speakers
    No 16 ohm offerings

I want two 16 ohm speakers that would sound good in this amp

the new Carvin speakers are Vintage 30 style Eminence made speakerspeakers

I'm not sure if the V30 is what this needs
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

The trouble is they are 8 ohm each and wired in parallel making for a 4 ohm load

No 16 ohm offerings

I believe we have the same amp (Belair 212). Mine has the spring reverb tank (not digital reverb). I pulled two Carvin VL12-16’s from it (16 ohm). They’re okay for cleans, but it just depends what you’re playing. What style of music do you typically play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mostly cleans

Yours came with 16s?
      EHD

Comment

I love the Swamp Thang Texas Heat combo in my Carvin 2x12 cab. They're good for clean or dirty and you probably don't ever have to worry about blowing them.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Mostly cleans

Yours came with 16s?
          Yes. You can have them if you want them (just pay shipping). I originally swapped them out with G12T-75s, as I needed something that could handle higher gain. Although, I’m now thinking that G12M-65 Creambacks might be the way to go. I have a Creamback in a semi-open H&K cab, and it sounds awesome.

Comment

I have Eminence Wheelhouse 12's in my 2x12 it is probably my best sounding cabinet.

Comment

Owned several of those amps. They need some thing on the chimey side as are voiced pretty dark If they are wired in parallel would have been rewired as the came in series for a 16 Ohm load. Something like a pair of G12H 30's would be nice in that amp. They used Vintage 30's also in those for a while. Be careful that cab is tight there can be clearance issues with the speaker baskets and magnets and the transformer on some speakers in some of the Carvin amps that use that same cab. Know this from experience. Not a fan of those VL 12's BTW.
              Have a buddy that has a LOT of mods for those amps that turn them into real tone machines if your interested. it's amazing what Rick did with those amps and many of us lobbied Carvin to bring him in and help with a redesign.

Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by BenPerkins View Post

Yes. You can have them if you want them (just pay shipping). I originally swapped them out with G12T-75s, as I needed something that could handle higher gain. Although, I’m now thinking that G12M-65 Creambacks might be the way to go. I have a Creamback in a semi-open H&K cab, and it sounds awesome.

oh ok
                not to look a gift horse in the mouth
                But,

but those are the Chinese VL series that are 70 watt
                mine are the American made VL that are 100 watt

they went through a change at
                thank you though
                EHD

Comment

I don't know know what your budget is but the newish Celestion V series speakers are pretty nice. I have one in a Fender Mustang and a pair came standard in my Blackstar Artist 30...a GREAT sounding amp that's kind of like an AC30 with a pair of 6L6 tubes rather than 4 EL84's. The V speakers sell for around $99 each but I'll bet if you shop around this time of the year you might be able to score them on a black friday sale for a lot less.

I've seen them used for $60! That's the reason I mentioned them. Excellent speaker and if you shop around you you might find a used pair for $120.

Here's a Pete Thorn demo. Of course he makes everything sound good because he can really play!

Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-25-2020, 07:56 AM.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

No 16 ohm offerings

I would send an email to Eminence. They have been very helpful when I have asked them about what OEM speakers match their current catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                      I would send an email to Eminence. They have been very helpful when I have asked them about what OEM speakers match their current catalog.
                      awesome idea
                      email sent
                      EHD

Comment

I am in the process of pairing speakers with a Carvin Vintage 33, your Belair's little brother.

So far, I have settled on the Eminence Governor (I'm still breaking it in) for the combo and I have a matching extension cab on the way. I'm planning on putting an Eminence Wizard in that.

The Governor and Wizard seem to be a well liked pair for EL84 amps and should help to open up the tone of Channel 2.

It's only been a few days but the Governor is leagues better than the stock Carvin speaker. Mine had the same 100-watt 8-ohm speaker as yours. The Governor retains the excellent clean tone of Channel 1 and has a lot more sensitivity and character when really pushed.

I'm interested to hear what Eminence recommends for you.

Comment

I will post their reply in its entirety
                          EHD

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            I have Eminence Wheelhouse 12's in my 2x12 it is probably my best sounding cabinet.
                            That's good to know. I bought one a few years ago when it was on sale, but haven't installed it yet. Now, maybe I will.

Comment

while I wait on a reply from Eminence

I saw these on MF

the Electro-Harmonix 12TS8 30W
                              https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...89823000001001

the Electro-Harmonix 12VR 75W
                              https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...89821000001002

I have one of the VR 8 ohms at the house and it does have the strong mid range of V30

If i get one each in the 16 ohm I think they would pair nicely in the Belair

and both would be about the same as one Eminence

EHD

Comment

Working...
                              X