No announcement yet.

New speakers for Carvin Belair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got a WGS Veteran 30. Their take on a Vintage 30. The tone is smoother and warmer than a Vintage 30, but still has alot of the sound and personality of a Celestion Vintage 30. I like it.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
      I just got a WGS Veteran 30. Their take on a Vintage 30. The tone is smoother and warmer than a Vintage 30, but still has alot of the sound and personality of a Celestion Vintage 30. I like it.
      yeah I got one of those as well

I feel there are a lot of the V30 style speakers for good reason

Warehouse Veteran 30 is great sounding speaker
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The Eminence Governor is also supposed to be their take on the Vintage 30. Sounds similar to a V30 to me but the Governor is more articulate and doesn't have that harsh peak in the upper midrange.

IMO, the Governor and the Veteran 30 are good matches for this amp's tonal characteristics.

Comment

Had a chance to play my Carvin Vintage 33 with the Governor along with the extension cab loaded with a Wizard today. Those two speakers pair very well with each other.

Whether clean (which the Vintage series Carvins do very well) or with various levels of OD, distortion and fuzz, I was unable to get a sound I didn't like out of the amp.

The Wizard really fattens up the Governor and the Governor fills in the mids that are lacking a little from the Wizard on its own. Kind of a "none of the bad, more of the good" situation.

I'm really looking forward to hear how they sound together once they are broken in properly. So far, highly recommend for these amps.

(Sorry for the double post.)
          Last edited by Dudeman7; 12-03-2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

well I have three extension cabinets and with
            Eminence designed Jet City Speaker in an open back cab 16 ohm
            WGS Veteran 30 in an open back cab 16 ohm
            EHX 12 VR 75 in a closed back cab 8 ohm

they all sound good
            the closed back cab does make the EHX a bit middy
            EHD

Comment

Below is the response from Eminence:
              "The speaker you have was indeed made for Carvin by Eminence Speaker.

Due to it’s age, we do not use the cone made in that speaker for any of our current models. This is also due to how the speaker was made specifically for Carvin, and not a standard consumer speaker.

The only 16” OHM speaker that has a 1.5” voice coil the same as your Carvin is the Legend 10516, a 10”. That one speaker is the only 16 OHM with a 1.5” voice coil, but we have many 16 OHM drivers that have a larger coil with a slightly different sound. If you would like, a description of desired tone quality and music styles would help us make an accurate recommendation for your Carvin upgrade."
              EHD

Comment

Well, that sounds like a good response. I wasn't aware that Eminence made Carvin's speakers.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm kind of surprised that your reply took so long and there wasn't a direct OEM equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                    I'm kind of surprised that your reply took so long and there wasn't a direct OEM equivalent.
                    well it is the Holiday season
                    and they do have similar offerings
                    just not direct equivalent

I believe the material and size have have changed

I can find something
                    think something in the Legend or Patriot series should be close
                    EHD

Comment

hmm now I got this
                      After consulting two other associates and searching for any records, we concluded we did not make the Carvin’s you are seeking.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
                      Do you think they may have read my other post?

EHD

Comment

Working...
                      X