Roland Jazz Chorus Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Jazz Chorus Alternatives

Hello! I’ve recently had my eye on Roland JC40 model, as it has built in reverb and lush chorus, an effects loop, and a headphone jack!

However, they do cost a pretty penny. I know there are some Roland JC copy cat amps floating out around there, or at least amps that replicate what they give you, but does anyone have any experience with these?

I’ve seen some Fender M80 chorus amps for very cheap, are they even worth the discounted price?

any other competition?

Thanks!

Hard to beat Roland's dependability.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

The Katana is probably a good amp with chorus built in. There are many amps these days with a JC 120 model built in.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas! I’m looking for more of a solid state / analog sort of amp, I’ve had a few modeling amps and they just don’t do it for me

Comment

Originally posted by cmac View Post
          I’ve seen some Fender M80 chorus amps for very cheap, are they even worth the discounted price?
          I own a Fender M80 (non-chorus model) and a JC120h they are both great amps but totally different animals. The M80 has great cleans and amazing built-in distortion. It is also a great pedal platform. Using a BOSS CE-2 with the M80 clean channel will get you close to the JC sound.

Love my M80 so much I got a new head case for it.

Comment

Cube series

Awesome amps

get a Blues Cube
            a Cube 60

I have a Cube 30 which sounds great here at the house
            but cant hold up with a loud drummer

Peavey Bandit is also very awesome
            and can be had used at a remarkable bargain

I have a Laney GA80A
            its a tone monster not JC cleans, more British Marshally sounding but excellent amp right on
            Last edited by ehdwuld; 11-25-2020, 03:23 PM.
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              I have a Cube 30 which sounds great here at the house
              but cant hold up with a loud drummer
              You might have nailed the perfect recommendation. I forgot about the Roland Cube it has the "JC" clean setting. How is the chorus is it CE-1 sounding?

Comment

its real limited
                single knob with Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, and Tremolo
                EHD

Comment

Hey cmac. You never said if this was for gigging or "home studio" duty. For the latter, the little Yammy THR series are sweet. True stereo, with lush chorus and reverb. The 2nd gen, at twice the power, aren't too pricey. The 1st gen, used, are even nicer. (Price wise, I mean.)

Comment

I was also gonna say Cube series. I'm assuming playing clean - but not necessarily.

The JC model on the Cubes is pretty renown for being spot on. I contend that because the JC is solid state - the Cube isn't really a model. It pretty much is a JC120, except in 30, 60, or even 80 watts.

As for limited, they are fairly tasty settings. Never had any problems dialing in something super decent. But again - if playing clean, drop whatever chorus/reverb you want in front.

I see used JC 55's around fairly often at good prices.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      I was also gonna say Cube series. I'm assuming playing clean - but not necessarily.

The JC model on the Cubes is pretty renown for being spot on. I contend that because the JC is solid state - the Cube isn't really a model. It pretty much is a JC120, except in 30, 60, or even 80 watts.

As for limited, they are fairly tasty settings. Never had any problems dialing in something super decent. But again - if playing clean, drop whatever chorus/reverb you want in front.

I see used JC 55's around fairly often at good prices.
                      I meant limited as in a single mutifunction knob

but hey thats true it is tasty tones
                      just not real flexible
                      EHD

Comment

But - if all you want is cheap clean JC 120, and a touch of Roland/Boss chorus...that's exactly what it is!
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I do have to say the JC is not just the Chorus aspect it has a very unique EQ, Hi-Treble, Treble, Mids, Bass. Most JC-120 sims fall short by not having the hi-treble control. That is part of the magic of the JC 120.

Comment

Isn't the Cube a modeling amp? If you didn't want the Roland/Boss Katana, I doubt you would like the Cube. Peavey made several 2x12 and 2x10-based SS amps with built in chorus in the 80s and 90s.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X