NAD - Katana 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Katana 50

I was at a local music store chatting, and someone mentioned I had $175 in credit from repairs I'd done for them before the covid lockdown. Really? So.... for less than $40 cash I came home with a new Katana 50 in the box....I foresee much playing the rest of the weekend.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Nice, impatiently awaiting your detailed review...

Comment

Deal of the day.

Comment

Those get talked about a lot lately. I'd love to check one out.

Comment

Here's the video I watched to learn all the knobs....
          Boss Katana 50 - Worth the Hype? - YouTube

Comment

I played through a Katana 100 a week ago at a gig. Pretty stellar, even sounding, clean amps. Love the power changes - had the exact same tone no matter what wattage I ran it at.

Comment

Great little amps for real! Congrats!
              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Great amp. Can't beat it for the money!
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Here's my new (old) Katana 50 close back

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3049.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	6033513Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3050.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	6033514Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3052.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	6033515
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3051.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	6033516
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                    Here's my new (old) Katana 50 close back
                    That's a pretty tall cabinet. What speaker compliment does it have?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That's a pretty tall cabinet. What speaker compliment does it have?
                      Dimensions are 23"x17"x8". Now it's an old Carvin British 12" speaker. I tried the Katana speaker for it was not sounding good. I ordered an Eminince GB128 yesterday.

Comment

Okay - here's the short review..... This is too much amp for an old guy like me. It's a great amp with great sounds - no doubt. I'm the kind of guy who is happy with 2 or 3 usable sounds - this one is infinitely variable. And I wish the controls were on the front of the amp - not on the top in the back where they are hard to see.

For most rock stuff - put it on brown sound and rock on. For clean stuff - I used.... clean. I plugged my solidbody mandocello in thinking I would try it on the acoustic setting, but it sounded better on clean. Cranking up the bass still left those low C's a little flubby (but the strings are old). Maybe a closed cab would work better for that? Like my Behringer?

The effects are ACES - 'verb, chorus, delay, etc. - all sound marvelous - just like you'd expect BOSS stuff to sound. I didn't get the footswitch, which would be needed for live playing to switch between channels and presets. But I play alone in my music room, so it's fine.

This sucker is LOUD. No need to play on the 50 watt setting. The .5 watt setting was okay, but I ended up using the 25 watt setting turned down pretty low. I ended up putting the amp on a little stand to make it easier to twiddle the knobs, and found it sounded a little better.

Given the low amount of outlay I have in this, no need to get rid of it. I can leave it sit if I need to. Might have to throw an old shirt over it to keep the dust off. So, yes - it's a keeper.

Comment

I played a digitally music fest from a stage last month where another band's guitarist played a Katana 50 -it sounded stellar.

We were giggling about how his amp is an 1/16th the value of mine and sounds about as good.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

This may be my next purchase, I looked at one when I bought my Pinnacle Deluxe, great little amp.
                            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400
                            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Working...
                            X