No announcement yet.

Want to put together a rig to use my computer and Bias-2 Plug-In... Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to put together a rig to use my computer and Bias-2 Plug-In... Need Help

I would like to know what pieces of gear I need to get ahold of to start using my computer to play, mainly interested in using Bias 2 and Bias 2 FX. I have never played using anything but my amps thus far, so I am completely in the dark as far as the basic gear I will need. I know it can get pretty in depth, but I just would like to know the basic (not insanely expensive, but not junk either) pieces of gear I will need in order to get myself started. Thanks in advance for any info/help/suggestions.
    "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."

Generally, an audio interface (usually something to get the sound from your guitar to the computer, and a set of good monitors (or the very least, good headphones). A decent recording program is also a good idea.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Generally, an audio interface (usually something to get the sound from your guitar to the computer, and a set of good monitors (or the very least, good headphones). A decent recording program is also a good idea.
      Thanks Mincer. Isn't the Positive Grid Bias 2 (and Bias FX 2) program(s) one that includes recording capabilities?

I have a Positive Grid Spark amp, which is supposedly able to be utilized as an audio interface. Would this suffice, or would you recommend I should purchase something different? Again, I am just looking to be able to get started, so as long as it will connect my guitar to my computer I'm thinking it should suffice, at least until I've gotten my feet wet and begin to understand it all a little better. If I am wrong, please feel free to suggest an affordable but quality alternative I could check out instead. Thanks for the reply.
      "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."

Comment

My new Spark is what has "sparked" (forgive the rediculous pun) my interest in checking out this type of option. The Spark amp comes with an app that is basically an interface which allows you to use Plug-In's from your IOS or Android device (among MANY other tools). I was sceptical, but they have a killer holiday sale goin on, so I got the amp & app for a great price and I figured if I didn't like it, I could give it to my son because at the very least it would be a great tool to help him as he is learning. I have to say though, it TOTALLY blew me tf away! He's not getting this one, but I have ordered another one to give to him for christmas. The amps and effects sound KILLER, and the ease of use is amazing. I haven't touched my tube amps since I bought it 2 weeks ago, and I can enjoy it even late at night because it even sounds killer through my studio headphones! So, I am now wanting to see what the Bias 2 and Bias FX 2 has to offer. It's basically the same thing, only on a more monumental scale, and includes different cab IR's and more as well. I've ofiicially been bitten by the bug, so the next gear is going to be computer/recording rig, hence this post.

Comment

If it acts like an interface, and includes recording, that is awesome! You can budget for some good monitors to listen on, or good headphones. While it isn't ideal to record with only headphones, many make do with headphones as their only means of listening. I find it easier to use regular monitors.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You can use the Spark as an audio interface. Guitar to Spark, Spark USB to computer. The USB output mutes the amp speaker, so you'll need decent computer speakers. There's probably a setting on the Spark that's as clean as possible, which is probably what you want if using the Spark as an audio interface to then feed your signal into Bias.

I can't tell if Bias is a VST. If it's a VST, you need a DAW to host it - Ableton, Cubase, Reason, Logic, Garageband, etc. If not, I guess just rock and roll in Bias.

Take the Spark out of the picture, and you'll need an audio interface. I use a Behringer 4-channel with great success - low noise, low latency, pretty solid.

If you haven't messed much with guitar --> computer, be wary of latency. Read up on your sample size, buffer rate, etc. It can be tricky to get instant response like you do with an amp... and doing so is a whole 'nuther set of questions and investigations.

Also be wary of getting too attached to the guitar --> computer setup. It's hard to take anywhere, software needs updating, drivers can break. It's just fussier than guitar --> amp.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I've been using Positive Grid stuff since the first BIAS, BIAS FX, etc came out several years ago.

What exactly do you want to know?

Here's a demo clip of me doing Jake E. Lee Badlands "High Wire" raw boosted Marshall plexi tone:

Comment

Working...
              X