Tonelab or pod xt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonelab or pod xt

im looking for the best possible emulation of really heavy distortion sounds only to use with my peavey classic 50 4x10 combo amp live and for recording.
    came down to the vox tone lab and the podxt.
    sounds im looking for :guns,old metalica(black album),papa rouch,buckcherry,sevendust.
    not interested in overdrive and other lighter distortion sounds.
    already have all my favorite effects so thats not a major concern.
    please help me out here
    Last edited by madguitar26; 12-18-2005, 10:04 AM.
    duncans,gota love em

Re: Tonelab or pod xt

also quality of the distortion comes first for me than just the quantitiy.
    but it would nice to have both
    duncans,gota love em

Comment

TONELAB or PODXT extreme heavy sounds

im looking for the best possible emulation of really heavy distortion sounds only to use with my peavey classic 50 4x10 combo amp live and for recording.
      came down to the vox tone lab and the podxt.
      sounds im looking for :guns,old metalica(black album),papa rouch,buckcherry,sevendust.
      not interested in overdrive and other lighter distortion sounds.
      already have all my favorite effects so thats not a major concern.
      please help me out here
      duncans,gota love em

Comment

The Pod wins on quantity. I own the standard TL and it's has great clean and inbetween sounds. It's distortions aren't perfect, but I find they're more responsive, and they feel 'amp-like' where as the Pod ones don't.

Having said that, the Pod's gotten a bunch of software updates lately, so maybe they've gotten better.

Personally, I'd get the TL SE (if you can afford it). It's very flexible, tons of effects, amps, cabs, and parameters to mess around with. And it's all usable.

Comment

Hey Madguitar, nice to see ya!

I have a Pod XT that I use for recording, and highly recommend it. I think it will do exactly what you describe. I haven't used a Tone Lab, so I can't comment on it... I don't think you'd go wrong with either. Maybe just go for whichever one you find for the best price?

From what I've noticed, I think that people who want lots and lots of distortion for heavy music tend to go for the Pod. I think the Vox emulations are more popular with lower gain guys. But that's just my sense of it... others will disagree I'm sure.
          Asteroids do not concern me.

Comment

Originally posted by wildstar
            Hey Madguitar, nice to see ya!

I have a Pod XT that I use for recording, and highly recommend it. I think it will do exactly what you describe. I haven't used a Tone Lab, so I can't comment on it... I don't think you'd go wrong with either. Maybe just go for whichever one you find for the best price?

From what I've noticed, I think that people who want lots and lots of distortion for heavy music tend to go for the Pod. I think the Vox emulations are more popular with lower gain guys. But that's just my sense of it... others will disagree I'm sure.
            I partially agree with you: the Vox really excels in the clean/just breaking up area. It's distortions aren't terrible, but they're not as good as the cleans. It's my opinion that neither the Pod or Vox nails the Marshall or Mesa distortions, but they both get close. I picked the Vox because I liked the cleans better, and I really liked the Recto emulation (Mesa Dual Rect. I think).

Both are great recording tools though. Just go try out both and decide.

Comment

Re: TONELAB or PODXT extreme heavy sounds

help me out here guysss imaa desperate
              duncans,gota love em

Comment

[QUOTE=wildstar]Hey Madguitar, nice to see ya!

nice to see ya too man!! hows the pickup changing going?any more cool sound samples?maybe the distortion...
                my tech is doing alota traveling but promised to fixz and install my custom till next week ill comment on that later.:fing25:

the brazilian folks ive talked to either have really bad ears and say the vamp2,gt-8 and pod all sound the same or tell me to geta recto amp...too much for me
                duncans,gota love em

Comment

i uesd to have a sansamp gt2 but after ten years grew tired of it.
                  my next unit has to be at least better than that pedal for the extreme gain sounds.

any thoughts?pod xt or tonelab,the quest continues
                  duncans,gota love em

Comment

I have a basically brand new TL SE for sale...$425 to your door in the lower 48.

Marshall sounds (barring the JTM45 and PLexi), IMO Suck...but the Soldano, MESA sounds are very good...as are the Fender sounds.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

The Tonelab kicks ass bigtime. No digital sounding effects like the POd XT. Love the crap out of the TL. The Pod has more effects and amp simulations, but can't compete with the TL IMO

Jeff
                      "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Re: TONELAB or PODXT extreme heavy sounds

I do a lot of forum reading and I would say the Line6 would be better for real heavy music. The Vox will just get you there but the Line6 will push it over the edge. Good luck

Comment

My vote goes for the POD XT with the Metal Pack.
                          You want vintage tones. Go with the Vox.
                          You want metal tones. Go with the POD XT w/Metal pack.

Also, the effects in the POD XT are better and more versatile than what's in the Vox.

So besides being a great recording device, you can use say the POD XT Live as just a floor effects processor in your amps effects loop.

Example: If you use it with your Peavey Classic 50 you can set your amp
                          up as you normally would and just use the effects of the POD XT.
                          Thus bypassing the amp models of the XT.

But, still use the amp models when doing recording or as a stand alone unit direct to PA if you can't (or wish not to) drag an amp along.

You can still use the POD XT amp models through a regular amp.
                          But, it's suggested that you run into the return of your amps effects loop and bypass the preamp section of your amp. Thus, only using the power section of your amp.
                          When doing so, it's also suggested that you turn off cab sims in the XT as well.
                          That way your using the natural color of your amp guitar speaker. Not trying to
                          make say a Vin 30 sound like a GT12-75.

You have 32 banks of 4 with the XT.
                          So, what a lot of guys will do is
                          set up a bank for recording.
                          A bank for direct to PA.
                          A bank for through a regular amp.
                          Etc..
                          Last edited by kherman; 12-18-2005, 05:07 PM.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.heddatheband.com

New HEDDA CD now available:
                          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hedda2

HEDDA video:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LuSksz-J8

Comment

Working...
                          X