banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this amp supposed to make this sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this amp supposed to make this sound?

I have a Mesa Fillmore 25 that the gain just sounds..... fizzy and perhaps a bit flubby, at least to me. That's the best way I can describe it.
    Turning down the bass doesn't help with the flubbyness that much and the presence is already low, like 8 o clock. Is this just the way the gain channel is? I'm not running much gain, perhaps 2 o clock, but it's noticeable all way at 9 o clock.
    For those of you who have this amp, is it supposed to do this? It happens on both the hi and drive channels, but is more noticeable on the hi.

No matter what I do, I can't dial it out.

Attached is a sound sample which was recorded with my phone...

Do y'all notice any weird issues?

Thanks,
    GreatOz
    Attached Files

I don't own a Mesa Filmore, but that sounds like a really great Fender-type 6V6 amp. Is the cabinet open-back? If so, you could try running it into a closed-back cabinet to tighten it up a bit.

Comment

Sounds Fender-y to me. That’s why I’m a Marshall guy.

Comment

As others have said it sounds like an open back Fender with gain. You could try setting it neutral and adding a Marshall in a box type of stomp. However, in my experience Fenders have always sounded like Fenders* no matter what you do to them. Not that it is a bad thing, it is just a different thing.

*There are some Fenders designed to sound like Marshalls

Comment

Add some mids... a lot of them.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I guess I'm more used to the Marshall sound than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
              I guess I'm more used to the Marshall sound than I thought.
              Whats creating that sort of octave ghosting sound? a pedal? am I imagining it?
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

That's what I'm trying to figure out. To me it sounds fizzy, and I don't like it. I turned up the gain at the start to make it more noticeable, but it's still present even at lower gain. No pedals were used.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
                  That's what I'm trying to figure out. To me it sounds fizzy, and I don't like it. I turned up the gain at the start to make it more noticeable, but it's still present even at lower gain. No pedals were used.
                  Ok, I was thrown off by your "fizzy" description I understand now --what I hear (octave ghosting sound to me) is probably power Tubes going bad -are they EL84s? How many hours on them? just buy a matched set -they are cheap -and you'll need them eventually anyways.

Comment

Tubes are 6v6, I already got another full set of both pre amp and power amp tubes coming in. Supposedly the tubes are brand now, not many hours on them.

It also doesn't really occur on the clean channel.

Regardless, I was thinking of just replacing them all.

Comment

I don't think different tubes will change it materially. The fizzy sound is the circuit not the specific tubes, and the flabby is the open back cab and the tone stack in the circuit not the tubes. That amp is a good sound, it's just not a sound you like, apparently. You know Mesa (Boogie) got their start modding Fender Princetons, right?

Comment

Unfortunate, I might have ordered the wrong amp then. Not too worried about it though; I'll either make it work or replace it.

I guess I'm looking for more Marshall-y overdrive, but the blackface-ish clean. Mark V: 25?

Comment

Turns out, no, it's not supposed to have that somewhat delayed fizzy, almost fuzz-like sound. I replaced the preamp tubes and it went away on the hi mode (although the drive mode still has it for some reason, I'll deal with it eventually). Regardless, I like the hi mode for my gain sounds now a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                          X