The tech has good power on the bench
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      From too long of non-usage and/or bad storage conditions you can have filter caps drain their charge and then dry-out, and then that can cause a failure which can take other stuff with it.

How long is too long for the amp to not be used? I have no idea.
      I let my tube amps go months at a time without running, but I rotate them so each one gets it's turn for awhile and none of them really go too long.
      Modern caps are better and more durable from what I've read, and it obviously isn't as likely to be a problem if the amp is newer rather than older.
      If a tube amp was stored in some ice-cold garage up in Canada for years then it should not be turned on without using a device to lower the voltage until it's had time to recharge itself.
      Yes I'm thinking this is or was an issue with vintage amps...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        There's no benefit at all to using them to the electrical circuit or components.
        I've read this too, somewhere. Basically, it IS necessary with large high-power tubes, such as used in radio station transmitters, and people like Leo just brought it along with his designs. But they aren't necessary for low-power applications.

Comment

It may be there so you can avoid the pop when you plug and unplug your guitar
          EHD

Comment

I read somewhere that you can't touch tubes with your bare hands and that if you do, you need to wipe the tube off before you turn it on. That true?

The Mesa Tech in this video doesn't use gloves for either removal or replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
              I read somewhere that you can't touch tubes with your bare hands and that if you do, you need to wipe the tube off before you turn it on. That true?

The Mesa Tech in this video doesn't use gloves for either removal or replacement.
              False. That's true for some specialized light bulbs, but not vacuum tubes.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Theoretically, anything that's glass that also heats up can be negatively impacted by an uneven distribution of oils (like from your hands). It will slightly change the heat loss through the glass, which (in extreme cases) might lead uneven thermal expansion and cracking. But guitar tubes operate at a low enough temperature that I can't imagine it being much of an issue.
                Last edited by GuitarStv; 12-18-2020, 07:20 AM.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have seen the skinny Quartz bulbs that he is talking about
                  and the finger prints on the failed bulb
                  The halogen light bulbs get super hot

I prefer to error on the side of caution
                  And I'm a bit OCD about dust

If I do touch the tubes I wipe em off with alcohol before firing it up
                  EHD

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    if you have rats in your amp, that will be an issue
                    Had a Geril eat a Peavey Studio Pro....loved that amp.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Theoretically, anything that's glass that also heats up can be negatively impacted by an uneven distribution of oils (like from your hands). It will slightly change the heat loss through the glass, which (in extreme cases) might lead uneven thermal expansion and cracking. But guitar tubes operate at a low enough temperature that I can't imagine it being much of an issue.
                      I've always wiped them -my fathers company made the highest end tubes ever made and he was super specific on this -BUT those super high end gold tubes were used more in diagnostic machines like photo spectrometers where uneven heat dissipation through the vacuum can impacted data/results -so it may not affect guitar amp application much at all, although did blow tubes in the earlier days occasionally and they were usually ones I had handled less carefully -but more likely vibration did them in.

and there is a notable thickness difference in different brands (or there was -now that almost everyone is owned by the same company maybe less so) -so I wonder if oils impact different brands differently.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

nonsense...

Comment

They're too heavy.

Comment

e
                            Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

False. That's true for some specialized light bulbs, but not vacuum tubes.
                            Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's about halogen lights, right?

They're not that specialized really: Used in all cars not using leds, and very often in house lighting too. At least here.

Easy to see how that knowledge would be mixed with tubes.
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                              e

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's about halogen lights, right?

They're not that specialized really: Used in all cars not using leds, and very often in house lighting too. At least here.

Easy to see how that knowledge would be mixed with tubes.
                              You are correct.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Obviously, you should have repaired it and then replaced the badging with RICHARD GERE in the Peavey font.

Then just wait for people to notice.

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Had a Geril eat a Peavey Studio Pro....loved that amp.
                                ---------------------------
                                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                                X