X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ehdwuld
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    a tube amp needs to be connected to a speaker when turned on. it doesnt need a guitar plugged in. if you put any electronics in storage for a while and there is moisture present, it can be an issue. as long as the amp is dry you should be fine. there might be an audible pop when you flip it off stand by but thats not uncommon and shouldnt hurt anything.
    And rats nesting

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    a tube amp needs to be connected to a speaker when turned on. it doesnt need a guitar plugged in. if you put any electronics in storage for a while and there is moisture present, it can be an issue. as long as the amp is dry you should be fine. there might be an audible pop when you flip it off stand by but thats not uncommon and shouldnt hurt anything.

Leave a comment:

• Hsb
    replied
    As far as question A and I could be wrong, Ive always powered up my Marshall on and left the standby off (unlit) till the tubes warm up. There may or may not be a guitar plugged in yet, but I always have one plugged in when I flip the standby switch

Ive never paid attention to the popping noise as Im in the midst of cueing up music, strapping the guitar or, etc but yeah I may have heard a pop on a rare occassion when I start my amp.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    1. Myth. If an amplifier doesn't have an input signal, then it's simply not working. It won't hurt it. Probably the theory of having it already plugged in is for people too dumb to turn the amp volume down when plugging in.

2. Possible, but not guaranteed, and not always an indication of a serious problem, but could be. Could be an arc across the dust that's collected, or a component or connection that's gone bad.

Leave a comment:

• Gold star
    started a topic Tube Amp myths...

Tube Amp myths...

perhaps someone has a view...on two statements i've seen A tube amp should always be plugged into a guitar when warming up (seems unlikely) ...and if you put a tube amp in storage..not use it for weeks or months, something will 'pop' when you come to switch on again...any truth in that ?
Working...
X