Tube Amp myths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    There is little real need to warm the vast majority of tube amps, and no reason at all to use the standby switch. :P
    Is that a myth or are fixin to have us a disagreement
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

#1 is silly. But I would also not plug/unplug without the amp in standby, don't like the loud pops

On #2 it's surprising how stable some electrical things can be over time when they're not disturbed. I would imagine issues come from living things going in there that shouldn't, causing nightmares

THANK YOU SO MUCH, cryptkeeper

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
      • G&L Tribute Comanche
      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Tube Amp Myth #1:

"I own/I've played a tube amp, therefore I know everything about tube amps. Go ahead and ask me online."

Comment

I have a Peavey Classic 60/60 tube power amp and technical support told me I don't need a speaker connected to the output if I have nothing connected to the input.

Comment

If it's on standby and/or the gain is 0, you might get away without having a speaker load plugged in, but it's not an advisable practice.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

Is that a myth or are fixin to have us a disagreement
              That's straight truth.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

There is little real need to warm the vast majority of tube amps, and no reason at all to use the standby switch. :P
                Yup....my Blackstar HT-20 is an all tune amp with no standby. I have had zero issues besides regular maintenance with it.

Comment

My buddy had his Marshall for years with no problems. Then his kids started using it and never put the amp in standby. All of a sudden the amp started blowing fuses they wouldn't last more than a few minutes before blowing. The bench tech could never figure it out.

Comment

That's straight truth.
                    Dangit Stv
                    my tube amps are bit sterile when I first turn them on
                    When they warm up for a few minutes
                    The bloom comes back

Of course it could be my playing is stiff and sterile
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

Dangit Stv
                      my tube amps are bit sterile when I first turn them on
                      When they warm up for a few minutes
                      The bloom comes back

Of course it could be my playing is stiff and sterile
                      He’s not saying the tone doesn’t change (in my experience it does too, as everything warms up) but that having the tubes heaters on for a while before applying high voltage is not necessary.

Now the interesting thing is that if you have a tube rectifier, the voltage naturally ramps up as the rectifier has to warm up as well. On a solid state rectified amp, it is more instantaneous.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but when you dig into the history, everyone keeps including them because that’s how the previous amps did it, right?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Standby is actually very handy for some troubleshooting methods.
                        There is a video from Mesa showing their tech use it like that.
                        Last edited by dave74; 12-15-2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          This feels a little Ali G, doesn’t it?

Well for number 1, as others have said it’s a misunderstanding of needing to have a load connected when powered on.

For number two, as caps and tubes age, the chances of them “popping” is statistically more likely when it’s powered up than when it’s not, right? It’s not surprising that the inrush of current may cause failure, but what are you going to do? Unless the working theory is that amplifiers that are used daily are less likely to fail catastrophically? Eventually tubes and caps and other things will fail. On that note, it’s good to be aware when things are going downhill. You might be able to shut it down before damage to other components like the output transformer occurs.
                          This is what I meant by popping....component failure..capacitors, fuses, a tube...

Comment

From too long of non-usage and/or bad storage conditions you can have filter caps drain their charge and then dry-out, and then that can cause a failure which can take other stuff with it.

How long is too long for the amp to not be used? I have no idea.
                            I let my tube amps go months at a time without running, but I rotate them so each one gets it's turn for awhile and none of them really go too long.
                            Modern caps are better and more durable from what I've read, and it obviously isn't as likely to be a problem if the amp is newer rather than older.
                            If a tube amp was stored in some ice-cold garage up in Canada for years then it should not be turned on without using a device to lower the voltage until it's had time to recharge itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

My buddy had his Marshall for years with no problems. Then his kids started using it and never put the amp in standby. All of a sudden the amp started blowing fuses they wouldn't last more than a few minutes before blowing. The bench tech could never figure it out.
                              I have no idea what your buddie's kids were doing to that poor amp . . . but the fact that the bench tech didn't say anything at all about using the standby switch should tell you volumes about how (un)important it is to do so.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              Correct me if I’m wrong, but when you dig into the history, everyone keeps including them because that’s how the previous amps did it, right?
                              Yep.

There's no benefit at all to using them to the electrical circuit or components.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have no idea what your buddie's kids were doing to that poor amp . . . but the fact that the bench tech didn't say anything at all about using the standby switch should tell you volumes about how (un)important it is to do so.
                                The bench tech is the best in the area. It was a typical amp gremlins situation. At the shop, it acted perfectly. 3 days after being home it started blowing fuses again.

Comment

Working...
                                X