Gibson buying Mesa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TMD

****! Is he trying to get a King V made by every guitar company on the planet?
    He approached Gibson before going to ESP, but they wouldn't make him a 24-fret Flying V in 2004.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      It's akin to wanting to summit all of the globe's highest peaks.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

It’s all part of his Metallica inferiority complex. Full disclosure—I own a jackson kv-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post

It’s all part of his Metallica inferiority complex. Full disclosure—I own a jackson kv-1.

I understand him... Afterall, Metallica beat him to having a King V so he came in second on that one too... It was Hetfield not Kirk though, so I don't know how much that counts in Megaworld.

Btw I love MegaDave. Just please don't let him talk about Metallica, politics and how he taught almost everyone in the 80's how to play guitar... Oh and how he sang to Marty in the studio what to play in his solos...

Comment

While looking into this, I was surprised to see that Gibson also owns KRK and Cerwin-Vega. It's hard to keep track of who owns what these days.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          If true, the price of my pre-Gibson Mesa just doubled. But Gibson has a history of buying brands and killing them (Tobias, Steinberger, Oberheim).
          I wonder if my Toby is worth more now?
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-07-2021, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Maybe they they will build Recto X and then

Comment

The last time (I remember) that they bought amps was the Trace Elliot Veleocet's that they turned into the Gibson GoldTones.
              - Velocets were ultra sleepers. Gibson just rebranded/badged them as Goldtones and they were heralded as flipping amazeballs.
              - Then they went away

Thank god I already own a Mesa...

Corporate giant doing what corporate giants do - ruin themselves and everything they touch.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                In other news, Gibson releases a slew of lawsuits against Fender for producing less hot-rodded Mesa amps.
                This could happen. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

I understand him... Afterall, Metallica beat him to having a King V so he came in second on that one too... It was Hetfield not Kirk though, so I don't know how much that counts in Megaworld.

Btw I love MegaDave. Just please don't let him talk about Metallica, politics and how he taught almost everyone in the 80's how to play guitar... Oh and how he sang to Marty in the studio what to play in his solos...
                  Robbin Crosby of Ratt beat them all. That was his guitar before Mustaine used it, though Robbin's was the Double-Rhoads which is the predecessor to the King V. But he still had a few King V's and that is how the guitar got its name. Mustaine began using the King V in late '86.

Comment

I’d love a KV1 and KE1/KE2. What cool guitars.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      While looking into this, I was surprised to see that Gibson also owns KRK and Cerwin-Vega. It's hard to keep track of who owns what these days.

I wonder if my Toby is worth more now?
                      If it is pre-Gibson, it certainly is. Pre Gibson Kramers are, as well as Steinbergers. They don't have a good history of brand stewardship.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        I’d love a KV1 and KE1/KE2. What cool guitars.
                        I used to have a trans black ke-1F with a trans black finish, Friedman volume knob placement and floyd rose. I stupidly sold it and never saw one remotely like it again. I have a feeling I would love the neck now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          If it is pre-Gibson, it certainly is.
                          I'm not really sure. It's Korean, so probably post-Gibson. Although, it's a moot point. I love this thing and have no intention of selling it. Was more just wondering.

I wonder if the serial number would tell me?

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

They will continue to build Mesa Boogie amps and will function as Gibson’s Custom Shop for amps.
                            I do a fair amount of M&A in my line of work as a corporate attorney. Companies that are acquired remain "intact" as distinct corporate entities all the time as wholly-owned subsidiaries of the buyer. That doesn't mean the parent company doesn't control them via complete stock ownership and thereby the board of directors, which together have complete power over the company and its management. The fact of the matter is that if Gibson really did buy Mesa, they can do whatever the hell they want to/with them, and whatever spin is being put on the situation now is meaningless. I hope things don't change, but if Mesa was actually acquired, my guess is that, absent Gibson agreeing to some very non-market and atypical covenants, Mesa isn't steering the ship in any meaningful capacity.

That being said, given the status of Mesa, I think Gibson would be stupid to interfere with what they're doing. They should really just leverage economies of scale/distribution power, and let Mesa do its thing so long as they continue to stay afloat.
                            DayGlo

Comment

Randall Smith is 75, this allows for better estate planning for his family and a continuity plan for Mesa. It will be interesting to see if the new Gibson amps are rebadged Fillmores or California Tweeds, GA-40 style recreations or entirely new designs.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                                Randall Smith is 75, this allows for better estate planning for his family and a continuity plan for Mesa. It will be interesting to see if the new Gibson amps are rebadged Fillmores or California Tweeds, GA-40 style recreations or entirely new designs.
                                I was thinking about that a few months ago with the introduction of the Badland. He was modding amps for the big names of the late 60’s, he’s been at it a while. Same for Paul Reed Smith. I was wondering when either of them would get sold/merged/acquired, etc.
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X