banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does everyone arrive at tube amps, eventually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was born again solid state with my Peavey Transtube. I don't think you end at tubes. Especially today. Hell - anymore you may go full modeller/computer. I see more posts by guys who don't run / haven't run tubes at all. Right now I have

100/50 Tube
    18 Tube
    15 Tube
    100/25 Hybrid
    60 SS
    30 Modeler
    10 Modeler
    Multi FX modeller

I like them all, Hybrid & Modeller getting the most play now.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Well, really, the funny thing in my case is that no matter which amps I have or use, I tend to go for the same clean sound.
      Ditto.

In my case, I think it's more because, more often than not, when I'm playing, I'm checking out a new pup or wiring scheme. I want to hear "it" rather than an effect.

Comment

I think everyone does arrive at tube amps eventually, but not all of us stay there. I like my tube amps, but I have and am still considering going to something like an AMT preamp/EHX 44 Magnum setup.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
          I think everyone does arrive at tube amps eventually, but not all of us stay there. I like my tube amps, but I have and am still considering going to something like an AMT preamp/EHX 44 Magnum setup.
          This has been my journey. Learned guitar on solid state, spent several years with a couple tube amps, and for the last several years I've been back with solid state\modeling amps that give me the things I liked about the tube amps. Its a good education to use tube amps because they do have some magic in there the way they push back and interact with you as a player, but tech has come so far in emulating that feeling that you don't need a tube amp anymore to get that. My experience as a semi-pro tone enthusiast.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

We all love the tube amp sound but not the actual tube amp because of price/weight/reliability. The solid state amp sound of the old days was good enough for cleans and maybe some high gain metal but the in between were bad, but that can also be blamed to poor speakers and cabs as SS used to be targeted to lower price points I am just fine with my hybrid rig with tube preamp and SS power amp, it sounds good enough for me, it is a lightweight rig and no worries on power tubes failing on me, bonus feature it sounds great at low volume.
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Valve (tube) amps for me all the way.

My 1st ever guitar amp, after graduating from acoustic to electric (10 years on acoustic only) was a ****ty Marshall MG.
              It was all i could afford at the time. I just felt that my pedals did not sound as good as they could through this SS amp.
              Got a Blues Jr, eventually. The honey moon era did not last very long.

Got a bigger 50W Fender . . . and the skies opened above me. I saw the light.
              Today, no profiler/modelling amp can give me what i feel in a well made valve amp.
              ALL my amps are valve driven . . . but there are one or two SS amps that i would love to have . . . one day.
              Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

I’ve been playing for almost 3 decades, and my favourite amp is my Quilter 101 Mini head.

(100% solid state, into a cab with a Weber speaker)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                >Matt

http://www.soundcloud.com/mattherman
                http://www.soundcloud.com/stormdoor
                http://www.soundcloud.com/disonova

Comment

I loved my tube amps, and have had many, Marshalls SLs, 800s, and 900s, Soldano HR50+ (favorite?), Mesa Single Rect and Mark V, and racks (Kasha Rockmod II preamp, best tone I ever had), but now, I run direct and don't have anywhere to use a real amp that moves that much air, so, I use a GT-1000 or a Tech 21 RK5 for pretty much everything. I have a power amp and 1-12 cab if I want to "feel" it, or I have some JBL FRFR cabs if I need to go that route.

Sure, I'd love to crank a tube amp again, but really don't have anywhere to do that.

Comment

ive played some friends quilters and they are nice, but they dont feel like my old fenders. the tone i can live with but the feel is too different for me to be happy. the flyrigs ive tried left me wanting, though i havent spent a ton of time with them in live situations. if i had mark knopflers kemper maybe that would work for me, until then or i am too decrepit to haul my amps, ill stick with what i have

Comment

I'm old and decrepit, and the churches I play in only go direct for now...

Comment

fair enough the last time i was playing in church frequently i was using an evil twin, on 25w power mode though. still heavy as hell

Comment

No. Dimebag, Kim Thayil, Prong...

Comment

Re: "does everyone arrive at tube amps eventually?" In my experience, my tone chase started at a tube amp into a 4x12 cabinet, eventually to a floor-based pedalboard into a PA.
                            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Tube is nice, but so isn't SS or high end digital.
                              It's like choosing between smoked, grilled or rotisserie.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                                I'm old and decrepit, and the churches I play in only go direct for now...
                                I'm a Church player also over 60 and can easily go silent stage with a pure tube rig.
                                This is with a tiny little Mesa 1/10 Subway Rocket at such low stage volume you would know it was there sitting in the front row. Super light quick to set up easy to tweak ect. The amp looking from the camera here is on the floor to my left can you even see it? Playing my KOA Carvin DC 127 with a Alt8 and Sentient only a little Verb and Delay running in the loop here.

Guitars
                                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X