Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging tubes making the amp honky?

Hi!

In the last week, my amp is getting honkier. Could it be because of a dying tube?

I have a Blackstar HT40 MKII.

Thanks!

It's a possibility. Tubes don't last forever. Do you have good clean power going to your amp? If the voltage is off it can effect sound in a major way. For example, if your amp is set to run on 120 and your wall voltage is 128 that will cause some sound issues.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

My amps get a bit darker/less clear with aged tubes. Haven't heard them honkier.

Comment

I get white noise usually.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I get white noise usually.
          Oh, honky. I get it.

Comment

Not my intention at all

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

Oh, honky. I get it.
              So you're saying the rest of us just get noise, you get white priveledged noise?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

So you're saying the rest of us just get noise, you get white priveledged noise?
                HAAAAAAAAAA
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've never had them seem honkier, usually noisier at idle, or thinner attack -maybe that's the honky you hear.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    Not my intention at all
                    That was kind of funny though, regardless of who would have said it.

Comment

I had a tube go bad in my old X amp. I noticed a massive clean volume drop off, and if I really hit the strings, it would get louder but in a nasty distorted super midrangey way. I suppose that it sounded like a honk.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I continued working on the case.

1) I gently hit on the tubes, no noise at all, so the tubes seem fine.
                        2) My "always on delay pedal" began to add some midrangy honk to my signal. Once turned off, all my guitars are back ok, except for my Aria Pro (strat copy).
                        3) I recently messed around with the pickups of my Aria Pro, so I guess it is pointing toward a wiring problem. And that's for another forum!

Thanks for your inputs!

Comment

Originally posted by Theobalt View Post
                          I continued working on the case.

1) I gently hit on the tubes, no noise at all, so the tubes seem fine.
                          2) My "always on delay pedal" began to add some midrangy honk to my signal. Once turned off, all my guitars are back ok, except for my Aria Pro (strat copy).
                          3) I recently messed around with the pickups of my Aria Pro, so I guess it is pointing toward a wiring problem. And that's for another forum!

Thanks for your inputs!
                          Did you change you bridge or middle pickup height also? that can also bring sizzle and honk unintendedly.

Comment

Working...
                          X