Slaving an amp to a modeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slaving an amp to a modeler

Does anyone use a modeler by running it into the effects loop return of an amp? What combinations of amp and modeler have you tried?
    La plouc

I ran a Kemper when I had one and now an Axe FX III through different amps, mostly an EVH stealth. A 50 watt EVH before that. I think it sounds great though I use a power stage 700 more, just for the convenience for when moving it. I do like how it sounds through a loop.

Comment

Sure, you just have to dial down the pre amp emulation section of the pedal so that the pedal has the headroom and not to much Pre EQ, and use the Speaker Room section more..

BUT -I think you will have better results with more Neutral (less voiced) closer to full range guitar speakers -like 70 or 75 W Celestions, Eminence etc.... Most manufacturers design modelers around a full range PA, Hifi style orientation with tweeters, subs etc. etc -Not a guitar speaker -so you have to work with that knowledge

With Greenbacks, V30s, high gain metal speakers and other tonally pronounced ones -you may be stacking a lot of EQ into speaker with a lot of voicing and get some more often too out there tones -but also may find some excellent things too.

Sounds fun though.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I used to run a Vox ToneLab into the loop return of a Marshall TSL100 with a JCM900 1960A with G12-T75 speakers. The Marshall models on the ToneLab actually sounded better than anything I could get out of the Marshall’s preamp. I could turn the cabinet models off, but some of them sounded better than bypass with that cabinet.
        La plouc

Comment

Originally posted by TMD View Post
          Does anyone use a modeler by running it into the effects loop return of an amp? What combinations of amp and modeler have you tried?
          Spidervalve.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't, as it renders half of what your modeler does irrelevant. I tend to want a modeler to go into a fr/fr cab, or IEMs. If I want to go into an amp, I just use an amp and pedals the traditional way.
            Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

I ran my GNX pedal into

A Carvin bass amp , in front

FX loop of a Laney GC80A
              Into the acoustic side of the same Laney

Into a Powered Carvin speaker

Into a Behringer XAir PA and the Carvin powered speaker
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                I ran my GNX pedal into

A Carvin bass amp , in front

FX loop of a Laney GC80A
                Into the acoustic side of the same Laney

Into a Powered Carvin speaker

Into a Behringer XAir PA and the Carvin powered speaker
                How's it sound?

Comment

I used to run my MagicStomp through the effects loop of my H&K Edition Blue 60, but only for the reverb. Now that I have my Alchemist, it's reverb is great, so I haven't hooked it up in awhile.

Comment

The MagicStomp is a still a remarkable pedal. They should release an updated version of it that is easier to program.
                    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      How's it sound?

The bass amp got muddy when i used the cab sims
                      as did the fx loop of the Laney

Oddly the front of the acoustic channel liked the cab sims

The powered speaker and PA with powered speaker liked the cab sims

The PA has guitar amp models too
                      Thats another story
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've run a Zoom G1 Four in the loop of an old Carvin SX60. Worked well with the Zoom global EQ.
                        Guitar amp power sections are not flat, they are designed to match the preamp (head), and the cab/the speaker (in a combo). You will have to adjust the eq accordingly. Might work, might not depending of the amp.
                        I got very good result with modelers (no cab sims) into Peavey Classic 60/60 tube power amp (with 6L6 tubes) and 4x12" cab.

Comment

I run mine almost the opposite. I run my amps/Torpedo Live in the FX loop of my Eleven Rack. Mainly because it makes re-amping easier.
                          sigpic
                          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Working...
                          X