Fender Blues Jr vs. Pro Jr??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Blues Jr vs. Pro Jr??

So, this PJ,,, & can it scream like a BJ, or is it an different animal, as described in another post? The 10" doesn't struggle on the low end? I'd be using it for lower volume recording, but with the gain of a BJ i used to own? & are US made models of either amp better than the Mexican made ones?
    Many thanks.

UPDATE: After hearing some good side by sides on YT, it seems like the Pro is much more organic, also has a nice bit of clean headroom,,, Even though i like the lower level OD allowed by the BJ, it sounds iike there's a nicer vintage mojo to the PRO,,,!!?? Anyone's thoughtz or affirmations? Lastly, are the more recent 'IV' models of either amp significantly better than the oldies?
    Thanks all & stay well!!
    Last edited by zozoe; 01-30-2021, 09:02 AM.

the pro jr is a great little amp but its a pretty different thing than the blues jr. volume and tone vs t/m/b, mv, vol, and reverb. i like em both, the bj is probably more versatile

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      . i like em both, the bj is probably more versatile
      Probably?!?!?!? Gain, Vol, BMT vs Vol & Tone? Absolutely more flexible. For recording I'd definitely get a BJ.

I have. Pro Jr. and love it...However, it has one sound, that morphs a bit, but not a lot from low to high volume (Gain changes - not volume) And it will do that sound in brighter/darker, and that is about it. Is it quiet? Not really. We are talking a 15 watt Class A amp that essentially has no real volume control. If it is on it is on. I often use a TS9 as a cheap "attenuator" for volume on it. That said, I do love the sound it makes!

However...on the transparent/organic/zen factor, oh hell yes. It will absolutely let you hear differences in guitars, pickups, pedals, whatever is in your sonic chain.

As for "Better" on when/where made - meh - they all sound the same to me, but the do always sound good over the years...
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks guys,, I like angry, dirty, & the 10" deal,,, But hypothetically, if I saw a PJ custom done in a 12" cab, it would most likely dramatically change the attitude & voicing? There's aTone Dog Pro-Senior in an oversized 12" pine cab, & wire rerouting for less noise, upgraded power filter caps, shielding,,,, Anyone ever heard of them? www.Tonedog.com
        Kenny
        Last edited by zozoe; 01-31-2021, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Pro Junior feels like a student model amp, but modded a bit to give it some more oomph.

Blues Junior feels more like a "real" amp...with modern features such as 3-band e.q., reverb, and master volume.

Neither feels like classic Fender. They both sound middy and dirty. "British," rather than "American" if you will...though I don't love that terminology.

Both are great sounding amps. But I don't get anything out of the Pro that the B.J. can't do. The B.J. can do so much more, with its great e.q. and reverb (plus master volume, theoretically...though that's kind of useless on a 15W combo IME).
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-31-2021, 11:02 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I love the 12" speaker a lot better. I was never able to get on with single 10".
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My Pro has a Blue weber in it. Sounds great...but I dig the punch of a 10" speaker.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i used a blues jr as my main amp for years and it was great, that said, if i was going to get one or the other these days id get a pro jr. the stock speaker in both amps is pretty lame but functional.

neither of these amps is class a by the way. class a/b fixed biased

Comment

So. MINCER, you don't think I'd be killing any 10" mystique by going with a larger cab w/a 12,, like the Tonedog? Ever heard of their Pro Senior?
                  thnx

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
                    So. MINCER, you don't think I'd be killing any 10" mystique by going with a larger cab w/a 12,, like the Tonedog? Ever heard of their Pro Senior?
                    thnx
                    Personally, no. If the 12" is a good match for the amp, it is only an upgrade for me. 10" speakers, outside of something like a Super Reverb always lose to a 12".

Comment

The 10 inch speaker is a good match for the Pro Junior IMO. It would probably also sound good with a 12, though, especially in a slightly larger cabinet.

That said, I'd probably get a second Pro Junior and run them both at once, before doing a 12" mod on one.

I used to bi-amp with a vintage Princeton Reverb and an Ampeg J12T. Made for a slightly bigger sound (just enough), without changing their fundamental tonal characters. Bi-amping with two of the same amp is even better. You can run both all the time, or you can run one for "normal" and turn one on via foot switch for when you need a bit more oomph (solos, single note lines, etc.). Two identical speakers in two identical cabs play very well with each other, especially if they are oriented vertically.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-01-2021, 09:02 PM.
                      Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

A Princeton with a 12 sounds better to me than a 10, too.

Comment

The Princeton cab with a 12" speaker was the basis of many an early Boogie. It's nice. But I also love it with the standard 10. Not as cutting or middy (usually – always depends on the speakers in question).
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

10's by themselves in a room can sound OK prefer 12's but miced they can absolutely KILL!.
                            My little Mesa Subway with a WGS ET 10
                            Amp unmiced

Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Now the little Subway miced with a Beta 57. These little amp are affordable and will absolutely destroy a Blues JR or Pro Jr BTW.

Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X