New Sovtek EL84M vs old Russian 6P14P-EV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sovtek EL84M vs old Russian 6P14P-EV

Are these the same thing? I mean the M ones, not the EL84/6BQ5-labeled standard ones. I already have a set of new Sovtek EL84M's in my amp. They're nice, and they seem marginally clearer when run loud than every other EL84 I've tried. But they still seem to have a very EL84-like EQ curve (albeit slightly on the dark side and not particularly fat), and everybody keeps recommending the old Russian 6P14P-EV's. Are they better? If so, what is better about them?

They seem cheap enough for NOS tubes to give them a try, but I'd like to know what you guys think about them first.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-11-2021, 01:57 PM.

back when i was running el84 amps a lot, i liked the jjs but its been years so cant really be much help. the 6p14p-ev are supposed to be a slightly higher wattage/voltage el84 so id say its worth a try to see if you like em

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I read they pump out more watts. Don't know if I need louder, but I do want a cleaner and bigger low-end.

I've tried JJ's. I think they're alright. I prefer TAD EL84-STR's, but I'm trying to find something I like better. JJ has their 6V6S which looks like a radical take on the 6V6 design and sounds A LOT bigger/better than other 6V6's. I just can't seem to find an equivalent in the EL84 realm. Even TAD's are only marginally better.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-11-2021, 04:36 PM.

Comment

it should be cleaner on the bottom, cant say if itll be bigger. but youll be able to tell once you get a set

Comment

Are these the same thing? Yes. M is Military spec. The 6P14P-EV are NOS Soviet-era military tubes and EL84M are newer production of the same specs. From what I'm reading on specs/spec sheets, the miltary version of the EL84 handle higher plate voltages, subsequently able to produce a bit more power, have longer life and will work as any EL84 replacement.

Comment

Just as I suspected. I'm kinda disappointed, TBH. I find these only marginally cleaner. Darker for sure, but not fatter. Oh, well. Still on the hunt for a good EL84, then.

I guess I'll try the Gold Lions, rather.

Comment

Working...
            X