Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class D power is getting so cheap

You are going to start finding Class D amps in cereal boxes next

It is indeed getting cheap. Although the marketing on this one is pretty bad. It is only a 500-watt amp at 4 ohms. It produces 1000 watts of total power; well according to the literature anyway. One individual tested the actual wattage before distortion and found that it produced about 50 watts when bridged, 25 watts at 4ohm stereo, etc. RMS. Now, this is true continuous power, so in essence, the amp would provide 25 watts of power all day every day assuming a 4-ohm stereo load. This would mean that with any modern speaker capable of about 98db @ 1-watt, 1 meter, a potential peak output of about 110db at best. Realistically based on most commercial music, you would lose about -6db of that potential SPL, setting you around 104db of actual volume. So it would be just loud enough for most home theater folks to be happy. The amp would be in the red, crying for help long before it was loud enough to support a full band.

So yeah, amplification is getting cheap, but it still hasn't gotten to the point where real usable power is cheap. This is good for background music in a shop at best.

Comment

I bought a Pyle EQ a while back
      it dissolved and ceased to work
      It was $5 or something
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

We have another class D that is fine for our practice PA, I was thinking of running the monitors off one of these Amazon babies. I like the fact it is also Bluetooth which is great for playing music during breaks, when cleaning the studio, or just chilling.

Comment

Those Joyo Bantamp do that too dont they
          the bluetooth bypasses the preamp

EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I also question their reliability. I recently took in a Gallien-Krueger bass amp for the music store that I do jobs for. The whole SMD circuit board turned to charcoal. The customer said they weren't playing it loud. We tested the rest of the circuitry, and replaced the whole board. The new one "smoked" on power up. These were (supposedly) good quality IcePower boards, that are made by Bang & Olufsen. Not cheap Chinese stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X