banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Afraid to open my amp but don't want to pay a repairman.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afraid to open my amp but don't want to pay a repairman.

My reverb is humming bad, it's like a white noise hum. I've read that SS amps hold good a charge after they're unplugged and it could be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, which I don't. Anything you guys can tell me about either?
    Last edited by solspirit; 02-15-2021, 01:51 PM.

If you have a reverb tank there are usually 2 RCA jacks plugged into it. Check that they are inserted properly.

Comment

Hum along with it
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        If you have a reverb tank there are usually 2 RCA jacks plugged into it. Check that they are inserted properly.
        I know nothing about this, it's an early 70's SS Hofner/Schaller KV 40.
        . I heard it was deadly to touch the chassis when you open it, what's up with that?

Comment

Dude you’re going to kill yourself if those filter caps discharge through one hand and ground through the other. It’ll stop your mfn heart.

I’m not ****ing around.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
            Dude you’re going to kill yourself if those filter caps discharge through one hand and ground through the other. It’ll stop your mfn heart.

I’m not ****ing around.
            I guess this is what I heard.
            ​​​​​​ How do repairmen avoid this?

Comment

Put one hand in your pocket and don’t take it out when tinkering in the amp.

Like Formula said, it’s the filter cap that hold the charge...don’t touch them!

Comment

Ground probes and dead checks with a multimeter. There are yt videos but I’m absolutely telling you to take it to a tech unless you like the idea of being dead.

Comment

I'm not advocating that you open it up.

This topic in The Vault has some basics and explains the dangers.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...ou-safety-tips
                  I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

If you can find the RCA jacks on the Reverb Tank that Gtrjunior noted, you can power down the amp, unplug the cables, spray some electronics cleaner (I use Deoxit) on the plugs, the plug and unplug a few times to clean any oxidation/corrosion which may have built up.

​​I'm not overly optimistic this will resolve a hum, but it won't hurt anything.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
                      Ground probes and dead checks with a multimeter. There are yt videos but I’m absolutely telling you to take it to a tech unless you like the idea of being dead.
                      I think I'm going to bring it in.

Comment

You haven't moved the amp, or brought any new electronic devices into the area, since the hum started have you? Just wanted to rule out environment.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                          You haven't moved the amp, or brought any new electronic devices into the area, since the hum started have you? Just wanted to rule out environment.
                          Not at all, it's been in the very same spot since I brought it home 2 years ago. The noise started about 3 months ago then gradually got worse.

Comment

How did the noise get worse if you aren't playing? How did you even know? Nevermind, not important...

Guys who work on such things discharge the caps. I don't know the procedure and I don't want to because electricity can be dangerous. Every amp builder I have spoke with says don't try this at home if an amateur.
                            Last edited by Aceman; 02-16-2021, 06:58 AM.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

sounds like something is failing but since its not a catastrophic failure, you probably wont see anything. if you arent confident, just bring it to a tech

Comment

Working...
                              X