Picked up a Hotone Ampero...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a Hotone Ampero...

Always liked the way these sounded in the youtube video's so..

It came in yesterday. Neat/solid build (way smaller than I expected though) & very easy/intuitive to use right out of the box. I don't own a phone so the touch screen was actually unfamiliar & something I thought I'd rather have done without, but it turned out to be pretty easy to work with..

I chose this over the POD Go & new Zoom G6 (back-ordered, I'd have had to wait) which were both about the same price...no regrets. This thing has some magic tones & feels absolutely great to play...and that's before even messing around with it & editing stuff.. Lots of decent sounding usable presets right out of the box..

Plugged it straight into Reaper this morning & recorded this (sloppy solo) with the first lead preset I came across

So far it's been fun to mess with. The tones & feel are pretty different than my Mooer GE 300 which is a good thing. There is'nt much overlap at all...

Presets sound a bit more open/less compressed than the Mooer in general I'd say. Although the Mooer's 'Tone Capture' profiles are as open or compressed as the amp you're capturing (..ie very accurate) . Not necessarily a good or bad thing...just different.

I look forward to exploring it a bit more. All I've really done is check out a handful of presets and get a bit familiar with navigating/maneuvering around.. so far so good
    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-21-2021, 09:15 PM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Another little blues-rock-ish jam with the "JTM 45+" Marshall patch. Used my cheap Cort Superstrat with Chinese A2 pups (switching between them) . I really like the lower gain amp models this unit has as well...the vox's were really cool too...

Again straight out from the Ampero & into Reaper..

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-24-2021, 10:35 PM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I just remembered I bought a Hotone amp when my regular one was in the shop a little over a year ago. I wonder if it's in the pedal drawer or I just don't remember selling it...
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

One of those little 5 watt ones? I think those sound great ..especially the 'Heart Attack' (Dual Recto)

Youtube

Comment

Well ..been doing this sh.it all day so I thought I might as well record something...

Mooer GE300 lead presets vs. Mooer "Tone capture" presets (that I made with my own amps) vs. Hotone Ampero presets..

Youtube

Comment

Cool. Most of the tone captures sounded nearly identical.

Comment

Maybe a bit of similarity between the AMT & Brutus in the clip (that's more 'cause of them both being inserted into the same effect chain w / the same ownhammer Cab sim ..I just changed the amp/tone cap models). T2 sounds pretty different to me.

Here's the same Brutus tone cap (first two solo's) & T2 Tone Cap (last solo) in a full mix of a song I recorded (different Fx chain/IR). Does'nt sound like the Stonehead tone capture at all.

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-25-2021, 10:52 AM.

Youtube

Comment

My first user patch

Tubescreamer + Bogner XTC Red + The Way 4X12 (?) + noise gate + reverb (hall) & delay (analog)

I needed to put it through the wringer

Just having some fun ...don't hate

Youtube

Comment

The sheer amount of awesome sounding digital boxes available for very little money these days is staggering. Less than a week into owning my Mooer GE200, barely scratched the surface on tweaking it, and I already want to check out this Hotone.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I really like the way the Hotone sounded right from the start when I heard the first demo's. Always knew I'd eventually pick one up (even before I bought my GE300).

I personally prefer the idea of having a bunch of (mid priced) modelers to one of the big names...cause like any amp they all have their own character & feel/sound/different from each other..so you end up with more diversity & variety sound-wise. Besides, after some actual hands-on experience with almost all "the big boys" I've come around to the realization that I don't hear (or feel) "any" actual upping of tone/sound quality between the really expensive units & the mid-priced units like Amplifire, Boss, Mooer, Zoom, Hotone etc. They can all be tweaked to sound as good (or as bad) as each other. I honestly don't see anyone actually being able to tell the difference in a blind test (ie being able to pick out "top-tier" tones over so called "mid-level"). Take away the hype & the only real difference at this point is price

This is a Zoom ....find me a Neural or Helix or Kemper etc tone that sounds "better"

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                      I really like the way the Hotone sounded right from the start when I heard the first demo's. Always knew I'd eventually pick one up (even before I bought my GE300).

I personally prefer the idea of having a bunch of (mid priced) modelers to one of the big names...cause like any amp they all have their own character & feel/sound/different from each other..so you end up with more diversity & variety sound-wise. Besides, after some actual hands-on experience with almost all "the big boys" I've come around to the realization that I don't hear (or feel) "any" actual upping of tone/sound quality between the really expensive units & the mid-priced units like Amplifire, Boss, Mooer, Zoom, Hotone etc. They can all be tweaked to sound as good (or as bad) as each other. I honestly don't see anyone actually being able to tell the difference in a blind test (ie being able to pick out "top-tier" tones over so called "mid-level"). Take away the hype & the only real difference at this point is price

This is a Zoom ....find me a Neural or Helix or Kemper etc tone that sounds "better"

Cool video. While I don't speak Spanish, I think what he's showing/teaching is that the variety of sounds come from different EQ.

Having watched that video, I now see why they designed the G11. Having dedicated amp controls pulls the amp out of the signal chain and gives you control over the important ones at the same time. With the amp in the chain, it eats up two pedal slots.

The new G6 does away with that format. I wonder if the G11 will be the last of the "virtual pedal" devices we ever see?

Comment

Yeah, nice vid & imo "mid-level" be damned... modeler amp-tone does'nt get any better than that . Period.

The G5n does have limitations for live use . As far as effects slots go, an amp & cab sim along with perhaps some knda overdrive/boost, reverb &/or delay is all I require & it's fine for that. Personally, I would never use a modeler on stage. There's something about looking behind you and seeing an amp (or two) atop a cab that totally rules/wins vs, squatting over a floorboard scrolling through menu's. (or touchscreens)

I do think they make excellent recording tools. I think they're the best option for that..at least for home recording.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                          While I don't speak Spanish, I think what he's showing/teaching is that the variety of sounds come from different EQ.
                          It's actually brazilian portuguese, not spanish.

The video definitely shows how far EQ can take while shaping sounds.
                          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                          X