Two Notes Torpedo Captor X FTW!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Notes Torpedo Captor X FTW!!!

So I have been mulling around picking up a Two Notes Captor X for a while. My biggest fears of it are the likely short period of time before the thing becomes unsupported, or it simply gives up the ghost before I get any real use or ROI from it. After receiving it and the seriousness of the process to utilize the software and features, I am a little at ease knowing it is only a year old, so I am a semi-early adaptor, and that the software will still be around for at least a while. I should be able to get my $600 out of it I hope.

The thing is pretty solid and built reasonably well. The knobs feel a little cheap, but you really shouldn't need to mess with them much after you get your sounds dialed in; there is also an app for that... Right off the bat, it is really easy to understand and operate. Within 1 minute, without even reading the quick guide, I was up and running with it. And the first sound I get from the thing..... F-N perfect!!!! Holy hell, it was such a relief to hear something that actually sounded good without fiddling a single knob. I ran through the presets and they all sounded good although some were heavy on the reverb. I am most impressed with the fact that I didn't feel a need to tweak an EQ setting or parameter for the IR's, they all just sounded like a cab that was mic'd.

I played for nearly 30 min before it even dawned on me that I can use my phone to tweak things. Downloaded the app and again within 1 minute I was moving mics, changing cabs, and adjusting reverbs, twin-tracker, and enhancer settings. Super easy. The app is slightly clunky sometimes if you try and ask it to do things too fast, but fast enough and intuitive. It was very hard to find a bad sound from the thing.

I see what people mean when they say the 3 position speaker level control is an on-off switch. The middle position is just about right to knock off enough level to open the amp up and get it working at a reasonable level, the low ( -38db ) position is pretty much off. The reactive load part of the load box side of things is pretty much useless for trying to crank your amp and enjoy the sound from it. The Captor does not sound very good in its low setting through your actual guitar cab. While I didn't mess with it much in the middle ( -20db ) setting, it too changes the sound enough to be noticeable. I would say that the " reactive " circuitry of the box is essentially worthless. If they added some tone control features for it, there may be something there, but as it is, you can only rely on it to cut the volume of your amp so you can use it as in-room monitoring or to take the volume down a bit.

The only true reason to buy this thing is for the purpose of using it as a direct feed to FOH for live sound, or as a silent recording solution. It is leaps and bounds better than whatever Strymon was trying to pull off with their Iridium. Sorry Strymon, I am now selling my Iridium. It was never right and based on how there is little or no talk, updates, or real buzz about it anymore, I see no reason to stay on board. Put it this way, I ran the Strymon Iridium ( with the Cab Sim IR's turned off ) into the Captor X, and the IR's in the Captor just sounded better, I also had effects, EQ, and other things I could play with. BUT and it's a BIG ONE, the Strymon still had its sound, that is just not right.

Ultimately my goal was to create a rig that needed no speaker cab, had enough effects in it to not need fancy ones in an effects loop, and possibly even be used as an IR loader with a small SS mini amp to have an entirely pedal platform setup. The Captor X is good enough to pull that off! My secondary goal was to be able to use it as a recording solution for my tube amps and to test my own amplifier designs through several guitar cabs to assess how it sounds. I feel it will also do that well also.

The two big downsides to the Captor X are the price, and the less than stellar load box. All said and done, after taxes, this thing is $600 new. You can buy a reasonable quality guitar amplifier for that much. You can also buy a Line 6 HX Stomp for that money. The " value-added " things like getting the Wall Of Sound with the captor X are kind of not real selling points. If you buy the Captor X, it's because you NEED a load box so you can go cabless at your gigs. The W.O.S is just something extra you can do if you do your own recording. You cannot run the W.O.S. app while you play a gig. The price tag is a bit hard to swallow for something that most people will use as a headphone device, and something to play with IR's through. Speaking of headphone sound, it is as good as everyone says it is, top-notch. The load box side of the thing is just useless. For me and I think many others, it is either not enough, or too much volume cut and the change of tone is just BAD.

In conclusion, I am happy with my purchase. If you really want to see what your amp sounds like cranked, through just about any imaginable cab there is, this is the tool to get. The effects and other features ( in the remote control app ) are perfect to get you anything you NEED, from a simple recording and live sound aspect. I have not yet played with it yet, but the MIDI control would make many other possibilities come to fruition if you choose to go that way. Hands down, this thing is the BEST IR loader, and direct to FOH or recording devise you can get for the money. It is half the cost of the other main players in the game. So while I feel it is still a bit pricey, at least it isn't the most egregiously priced unit available. The Bozz WAZA Tube Amp Expander is really what I want, but it costs way too much to justify it. So if you are on the fence about a Two Notes Captor X, I say make the jump. IF you know what you need/want, and can live with the downsides of it, I don't think you will find any better.

So if I am correct to sum up your thinking, the reactive load doesnt add anything to the tone, but the IRs set up through WOS sound great.

I played with WOS last year and I imagine the captor X has a bunch of the the built in processing on top of the IRs. If memory serves it has resonance/presence, eq, things like that. That processing is probably what you are liking about it. Or maybe its just the IRs.

So the question, is there any way to get an IR player with Torpedo-style post processing for less? If the reactive load isn't doing anything, you could use an old style (cheap) power brake with an "augmented" IR player and get the same result.

When I was messing with real amps (at home) I was using an isolation cabinet as my reactive load, and using the Revalver IR player, which has other features similar to WOS. Since I wasnt playing out, the size of the iso cabinet did not matter. Since then I realized I can do all the processing in a modeling MFX and get faster and more varied results without having to deal with the amp. All my settings are in one device. Is it as good? I don't even know anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
      So if I am correct to sum up your thinking, the reactive load doesnt add anything to the tone, but the IRs set up through WOS sound great.

I played with WOS last year and I imagine the captor X has a bunch of the the built in processing on top of the IRs. If memory serves it has resonance/presence, eq, things like that. That processing is probably what you are liking about it. Or maybe its just the IRs.

So the question, is there any way to get an IR player with Torpedo-style post processing for less? If the reactive load isn't doing anything, you could use an old style (cheap) power brake with an "augmented" IR player and get the same result.

When I was messing with real amps (at home) I was using an isolation cabinet as my reactive load, and using the Revalver IR player, which has other features similar to WOS. Since I wasnt playing out, the size of the iso cabinet did not matter. Since then I realized I can do all the processing in a modeling MFX and get faster and more varied results without having to deal with the amp. All my settings are in one device. Is it as good? I don't even know anymore.
      Along these lines, a reactive load definitely adds to the tone versus a resistive load. A reactive load mimics the variances in speaker impedance; giving a lively feel. A resistive load is pretty flat and best used to go from amp to amp.

The Two Notes Torpedo CAB M+ models power amp, 2x mics and speakers for less $ than the Captor, but does not feature a load of any sort. You also get the WOS VST download.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
        I see what people mean when they say the 3 position speaker level control is an on-off switch. The middle position is just about right to knock off enough level to open the amp up and get it working at a reasonable level, the low ( -38db ) position is pretty much off. The reactive load part of the load box side of things is pretty much useless for trying to crank your amp and enjoy the sound from it. The Captor does not sound very good in its low setting through your actual guitar cab. While I didn't mess with it much in the middle ( -20db ) setting, it too changes the sound enough to be noticeable. I would say that the " reactive " circuitry of the box is essentially worthless. If they added some tone control features for it, there may be something there, but as it is, you can only rely on it to cut the volume of your amp so you can use it as in-room monitoring or to take the volume down a bit.
        The reactive load for any load device shines when used as a "silent speaker".

You then line out into your DAW and slap some speaker iRs on the signal.

Now you have a true speaker simulator, and with a reactive (vs resistive) load, it behaves like a real speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

Along these lines, a reactive load definitely adds to the tone versus a resistive load. A reactive load mimics the variances in speaker impedance; giving a lively feel. A resistive load is pretty flat and best used to go from amp to amp.

The Two Notes Torpedo CAB M+ models power amp, 2x mics and speakers for less $ than the Captor, but does not feature a load of any sort. You also get the WOS VST download.

I know how its supposed to work, but I guess I don't understand what the OP's issue is. He said the reactive load doesn't work well or somethiing like that.

"The reactive load part of the load box side of things is pretty much useless for trying to crank your amp and enjoy the sound from it. The Captor does not sound very good in its low setting through your actual guitar cab. While I didn't mess with it much in the middle ( -20db ) setting, it too changes the sound enough to be noticeable. I would say that the " reactive " circuitry of the box is essentially worthless."

Comment

The Reactive Load ( of the Captor X ) sounds like crap when you listen to the sound of your actual guitar speaker cab. Said another way, the reactive load aspect of this unit is useless for the purpose of enjoying the sound of your LIVE guitar sound. They may as well have just said it is a load box only, with no speaker out, because it is worthless for anything other than the digital side of the unit. At this point, nobody would care if it was resistive or reactive, only that it sounded good. The terminology of " reactive load " is marketing-speak, buzz word, crap, in this instance. Worthless in my POV. I want honesty, and I don't like buying things that tell you what features it has in BOLD print on it. Like an exercise bike that has a big sticker that says " Step-through design " on it.... It's an exercise bike, who cares if it is easy to get on and off of? Marketing BS is what I had a problem with I guess you could say

How the IR sounds in conjunction with a fixed resistive or reactive load, I don't know? All I care about is that the IR sounds good ( real or convincing to me ), which in the case of the Captor X, it does. As a sound guy, the direct out feed that I hear is absolutely stellar and would easily replace the need for me to ever mic a guitar cabinet again. It is that good.

My big gripe is that if you wanted to use this device solely as a load box to crank your amps and get the sound you wanted out of your guitar cab, this will NOT be your cup of tea. If they added a low and hi tone control, it would probably be passable. This is why I say that the entire purpose of this device is for going direct to FOH for live sound, or recording, not for using it as a purpose-built load box to enjoy listening to your cranked amp at bedroom levels from your actual guitar cab.

I have not used the W.O.S app yet. You cannot use it in real-time as you play, ( well, not without latency anyway ). The W.O.S app is still new to me. What I want to know is if you can tune a desired recorded sound with the W.O.S plug-in and then save that sound and use it as the actual IR you play with live?

Comment

I understand now. The captor X doesnt have any onboard controls that affect the output to the amplifier, meaning there is no way to compensate for high levels of attenuation in room. Most of the old attenuators had rudimentary EQ.

I suppose your best bet is an amp with res/presence controls for that kind of setup. Maybe a 10-band eq pedal? Cranking an amp does require different EQ settings.

I used to mess with real amps, iso cabs, mics, IRs, but now I just use a modeler. When you get your amp sounding great through the CaptorX, that will be one or two sounds. If you want something different, you will have to find another combination of IR and EQ settings on the amp, but generally it will still sound the same.

My opinion of the amp/attenuator/IR combination is that its great if you have alot of amps, otherwise you will just get a couple sounds and thats it. I like being able to dial in any kind of sound and have instant recall to that sound.

Comment

So I ran the Captor X into one of my RCF NX-12SMA's that I have, and immediately smiles!!!! Over the moon happy with this thing so far. It absolutely slays the Strymon Iridium in every way. It sounds like an amp that is mic'd properly. If you don't have one yet, find one, buy it, steal it, borrow it, whatever; just get one to try it out!

Comment

Working...
                X