New (sorta) Amp Day!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (sorta) Amp Day!!

Some time ago, I had an EVH 5150III LBX II that I traded for an LBX 1 because I wanted the red channel. I didn't regret the trade, but I missed having that gorgeous clean green channel. I also think of the LBX 1 as more of a 1-channel amp because its blue channel sounds so weak and undergained. Pretty unusable for what I play.

So the dude I made the trade with listed his LBX II for sale, and I couldn't help myself. I jumped on it. And voilą, I took the LBX II back home with me.

I really like it. I still like my LBX 1 for its red channel, but the blue channel is much more usable on the LBX II. It barely has enough gain for what I like, but it gets there on its own without a boost (big emphasis on "barely", TBH), and it's different enough on the gain channel to warrant having both. Honestly, I'm surprised at how different these two are. It's not like playing a JCM800 vs. Dual Rectifier, but they're definitely more different than what I expected/remembered. And the clean channel is gorgeous. Very crisp and clear.

I'm pretty happy with my LBX collection, but now I need the LBX S to have 'em all.

Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-24-2021, 02:45 PM.

Congrats! More is always better IMO.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Cool! I've been lusting after one of those lbx's for a while. I almost got the first one for the red channel but held out since the stealth just released. But then I'd miss the blue channel.....

Which do you prefer, boosted blue on the II or the red channel of the I?

Comment

If you had the lows at 12:00 and the volume cranked a bit, you'd pretty much be at Eddie's settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Semetery View Post
            Which do you prefer, boosted blue on the II or the red channel of the I?
            Red channel on the 1 for sure. But I think the unboosted blue channel on the II is more than usable too.

I haven't found the right boost to use with these amps, TBH. My TS808 and MXR Classic Overdrive cut too much lows. Neither of the LBX's have tons of lows to begin with. I mean, they're not thin or anything, but you will not mistake them for Mesa Rectos. I usually run the lows on both on 7 (out of 10) and the resonance cranked, even through my 4x12. The louder they get, the more the EL84's do their thing (thin out).

I like the red channel the best, and it doesn't need a boost for sure, but the blue channel on the II gets me there too. I do have to run the gain pretty high (almost full, but no quite), and if I pick hard, I can get it to sorta work. The blue channel on the 1 is super weak, though. The blue channel on the II definitely has more gain than it does on the 1.

Don't get me wrong, I love these amps. They're great, but they do have their quirks.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-28-2021, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
              If you had the lows at 12:00 and the volume cranked a bit, you'd pretty much be at Eddie's settings.
              Ha! That's awesome. Where can I see his settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                Ha! That's awesome. Where can I see his settings?
                I was wrong. For some reason I was thinking he kept his lows at around noon. It looks like you're just about pretty dead on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EVH 5153 Settings.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	6060750

Comment

Wow! I guess that is these amps' sweet spot.

I've never quite gotten the "666" settings people use on 5150's. Every version of the 5150 I've played has sounded mega honky with the mids above 4.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-27-2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

So I got myself a Spark Booster to drive the LBX 2 a little harder without as much coloration as a Tube Screamer had.

I LOVE IT! It sounds fantastic. I just raise some level going in, and cut just a tiny bit of bass, and it really opens the amp up and makes much more of a high-gain metal beast!

Comment

Glad youre digging the rig, one of these is on my list of possible added amps
                      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400
                      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                        Glad youre digging the rig, one of these is on my list of possible added amps
                        They're great. Totally recommended.

Be wary, though. The II's clean channel is fantastic, but I'm starting to think the gain channel does need a subtle boost for high-gain chuggah chuggah. Not a Tube Screamer, though. Neither my TS808 nor my Classic Overdrive are the right boost for these amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          They're great. Totally recommended.

Be wary, though. The II's clean channel is fantastic, but I'm starting to think the gain channel does need a subtle boost for high-gain chuggah chuggah. Not a Tube Screamer, though. Neither my TS808 nor my Classic Overdrive are the right boost for these amps.
                          When a tube amp needs a little extra gain, a graded GT ECC83S gives it another 10%. That is the hottest production tube I've found. Some of the chinese AX7 tubes are hot, but you have to dig. Every GT ECC83S I've bought had extra output.

Comment

I think that using a clean boost is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

I was wrong. For some reason I was thinking he kept his lows at around noon. It looks like you're just about pretty dead on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EVH 5153 Settings.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	6060750

why do NONE of the knobs point at the dots? Alternate settings? Or just weirdness?
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X