Back to the Katana!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the Katana!

I sold my MKI Katana Artist last Fall and spent a few months toying around with Neural DSP's incredible plug-ins through my computer in an attempt to preserve space in my now dual-purpose home office/practice room which is being shared with my wife during the day for work-from-home purposes.

Unfortunately, I have continually struggled to get a clean signal through my computer/interface and there was definitely something missing in terms of having a live amp in the room, even though my speakers/monitors are definitely decent substitutes most of the time. Plus, my niece has been coming over on the weekends to practice guitar with a neighbor's kid and my one-computer setup doesn't handle 2 guitars simultaneously very well.

Well, a local deal came up on a MKII Katana 100 that I couldn't pass up...so I didn't

Man...these are just killer values and the MKII fixes just about every complaint (all minor) that I had about the MKI aside from keeping the controls on top. This is the second Katana 100 I've owned and it's just a great all-around amp for most uses. The MKI Artist was like sexy icing on a great tasting cake, but the MKII improvements (additional amp models/voicings, concentric controls for effects, etc) on this KTN-100 make it really hard to justify upgrading to the newest Artist just for the Waza speaker and front-mounted controls. Plus, the slightly smaller cab of the 100 feels a lot less intrusive in my currently limited space.

I've been touting the virtues of the Katana as an ideal practice amp upgrade to one of my neighbors for more than a year. I finally invited him over to check out this MKII 100 and he immediately went out and picked up a MKII 50W version that same day!

Between the Katana and the Neural stuff, I'll be content until I have room for another proper head/cab setup at some point.

I need something smaller than my Mustang III 1x12 for keeping upstairs. One of the Katanas is in consideration. The other idea was going virtual through my laptop, but that seems like a pain in the ass for just plugging in and goofing around.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I recently tried one, and I can see what the hype is about. Really good amps for the money. My only criticism... well, not really criticism, but I'd prefer if the cabs were closed back. Just a personal preference thing, though.

Comment

Can they power an extension cab?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a Katana head for a while.

My only complaints were that I disliked the top mounted controls. Sitting on a 4x12, I had the katana sitting on its face with cables sprouting out the top. Only way to adjust while seated. Its like they designed it to sit on a 1x12.

The 1w/5W/100Watt control did nothing useful according to my ears. All it does is alter the sweep of the volume control. Cranking the amp does not add any meaningful tube saturation or coloration.

I have a GT100 and at the time I disliked not having access to all the parameters from the amp. A GT100 run into an amps return is essentially a katana floorboard.

Comment

Great amps for cheap. They have something special going on that hasn't really been embraced by a lot of guitarists for some reason.
            a little tweaking and they can flat rip!
            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Can they power an extension cab?
              The Artist can. The more budget-friendly 1x12 and 2x12 100W combos don't have a dedicated speaker output, but they can slave another Katana (even a first gen 100W) to act as a stereo setup using a "stereo expand" feature, which is pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
              X