Master volume vs non master volume SF Twin Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master volume vs non master volume SF Twin Reverb

I have been trying to get a deal to go through on a 1970 Twin and all of a sudden it looks like the deal may fall through here at the last minute I hope it doesn't . You can buy post 72' master volume Twins in great condition all day long for cheap. My question is can you really hear a whole lot of difference between the two? I have heard the the MV don't sound as rich and full.If the deal falls through should I snap up a good MV Twin have it Blackfaced and leave the MV there just for looks? I mean really.... would the average Joe be able to A/B a 1970 Twin and a 1975 Twin and hear a whole lot of difference?
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Re: Master volume vs non master volume SF Twin Reverb

if you mod it to have no master volume and keep all else the same i think you'd be really, really hard pressed to find a difference in tone

but yeah if blackface is your thing & you can get a good deal on this one & have money left for mods - go for it
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Since I would be converting either back to Blackface Specs, the MV is a non-issue. It would simply become a non-working item on my amp.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Suppose I dont mod it for quite some time. Are the MV ones really that bad? I mean... surely theres some of that good Twin mojo still in it.

Comment

given the right tubes & speakers, yeah they can sound good

silverfaces are underrated, i'd take my current bassman over an AA864 circuit anyday. Of course the ab165 is a bad mother******, but that's besides the point, silverfaces are not as horrid as they're made out to be by a long shot
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Some feel the reverb on silvers is superior to blacks.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I played on a 69' SF Super at GC this weekend and then went right to a 65 Reissue Twin and almost threw up. The Twin was completely sterile compared to the Super. Given that I loved the 65 RI Twin I used to have.

Comment

Disconnect the master or turn it into a post PI master if you want to have a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by chill
                  Disconnect the master or turn it into a post PI master if you want to have a beast.
                  I understand disconnecting the MV, but please elaborate on the PI.

Comment

Originally posted by B Bent
                    I have been trying to get a deal to go through on a 1970 Twin and all of a sudden it looks like the deal may fall through here at the last minute I hope it doesn't . You can buy post 72' master volume Twins in great condition all day long for cheap. My question is can you really hear a whole lot of difference between the two? I have heard the the MV don't sound as rich and full.If the deal falls through should I snap up a good MV Twin have it Blackfaced and leave the MV there just for looks? I mean really.... would the average Joe be able to A/B a 1970 Twin and a 1975 Twin and hear a whole lot of difference?
                    I'd go for the one with the master volume, because this arrangement allows you to overdrive a channel (put that channel's volume at 10) but control master volume so you don't go deaf. If someone already said this, +1 to you
                    My Music Page
                    Originally posted by vinterland
                    I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
                    Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

The Master volume Fenders are a long way from the non masters IMHO. I have owned and played thru many for years. I now have a 68'SF Super Reverb and a '67 Dleuxe Reverb Both of these amps are amazing. I have never played thru a master Fender that I would say sounded great.... good yes, but not great!!
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

ummm, the 'overdrive' available on an MV twin is nothing you'd ever want to use. Get a MV Twin, (not the ultralinear '135 watt' model), get it set up like an early SF/BF, and save a bunch of money for tubes and speakers...then keep it forever.

Comment

Fender's MV's on the early amps don't have enough gain on tap to get much overdrive. But if you move it back behind the phase inverter (post PI), you have more clipping on tap.

Here's a schematic showing the Orange MV: http://users.telenet.be/orangefg/OFG...geotrschem.gif

And IIRC there are some photos with the Hasserl mods for the Carvin VT50/ Belair/ Nomad here: http://www.geocities.com/rlhassebroc...deremoval.html

I did a similar mod to an Ampeg V4B with a couple extra caps, the MV pot, and a tagstrip mounted on the PCB standoff. It's quite surprising how much clipping that amp has on tap.

Comment

Working...
                          X