Got a TonePort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a TonePort

My gf and I did Xmas this weekend since we'll be headed out of town in different directions in a couple of days, so I've got me a shiny new TonePort. I've only spent a couple of days with it, so I'm not quite yet ready to write a proper review, per se, but if anyone has any questions, I can try to answer them.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Re: Got a TonePort

My buddy in Atlanta loves his. He had a POD 2.3, but never really understood all of what he was doing when he cranked the knobs. Now, through his PC interface, he tells me he can see exsactly what he's doing and why...

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

The software interface is definitely the breakout star here. I never played with a GuitarPort, so I don't know how much is being borrowed from that, but with the small complaint of not having TOTAL control over the ordering of effects (many effects have a pre or post-amp option, but beyond that, they are where they are) the interface is nearly flawless.

When I bought my first V-amp (later stolen and replaced) I tested a 1st-gen Pod and a Johnson J-station and found that I actually preferred the V-amp's models to those, particularly for clean and slightly dirty stuff. It's been interesting to play with the Line6 versions of the amp models that I use most often in my V-amp. In most cases, there is no clear winner, but cool variations on a theme between the V-amp and the TonePort's XT models.

As for the hardware itself, It's so nice to be able to plug directly into a single unit sitting on my desk, rather than chaining a modeller or mic-pre into an outboard soundcard (my previous set-up).
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

Have you tried recording with a mic plugged in the mic input yet? I wondering how good the quality of the recording is, cause I'm considering getting one for recording with a mic and probably for practicing. By the way which version of the toneport did you get?
        Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
        Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
        Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
        Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
        Fender Frontman 15g
        Cry Baby
        Boss DS-2
        Boss CE-3
        Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

I got the UX2. I can't imagine many people deciding that the Ux1 represents a particularly good bang for buck when $70 more gets you two channels, phantom power, nifty level monitors and seperate volume control for headphones.

I haven't had a chance ye tto record any vocals, but I expect that the preamp is about on par with those in other budget recording interfaces: not bad, but nothing particularly special. I AM, however, very hopeful for the models for vocals. I've played with mic preamp modelling before, but always in an after-the-fact way (Acoustic Mirror was one that always impressed me). This will be the first time I've been able to set a model and hear it in the cans as I record.

Originally posted by greendy123
          Have you tried recording with a mic plugged in the mic input yet? I wondering how good the quality of the recording is, cause I'm considering getting one for recording with a mic and probably for practicing. By the way which version of the toneport did you get?

Comment

let us know how it is workin' out for ya' StG ... santa is bringing me a UX2 and i'm stoked to finally have a decent way to record some tunes/clips ...

what are the specs of the PC you are running it with?

t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Very modest: Athlon XP 3200+, 768MB RAM, 120GB HD space (80 +40, both of which are full but I'm going to add a 250GB or 320GB after Xmas), Radeon 9600 Pro 128Mb video card.

it really doesn't seem to be much of a resource hog at all. Even with my low-mid specs, I can run it simulataneously with as many different programs as my attention will allow for.

Originally posted by tone4days
              what are the specs of the PC you are running it with?

t4d

Comment

thanks, St. G. ... mine is a 2.4 GHz pentium with 512MB and 80 GB drive (50 GB free) .. i only have USB 1 on there ... Win XP, SP2 ...

looking forward to posting clips soon
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

USB 1.0 or 1.1? Line6 lists compatibility with 1.1 and 2.0, and I've never been entirely clear on whether there was any real physical (not quite the right word...) difference between 1.0 and 1.1 or if it was the equivalent of a firmware update -- and according to one source I found, the latest 2.0 revision acutally allows for all USB drives to talk to 2.0 devices even if they can't support the speed a 2.0 device would expect to have.

The Gearbox software seems to monitor USB data throughput and with my 2.0 it never rises above the merest flicker, so I imagine that, so long as the TonePort will talk to your machine, you shouldn't have any troubles with it maxing out the data streaming between of your USB.

Comment

Clip: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=59576

Comment

Oh on the mic, I'm thinking more on the lines of micing an amp to record it.
                      Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                      Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                      Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                      Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                      Fender Frontman 15g
                      Cry Baby
                      Boss DS-2
                      Boss CE-3
                      Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

It should do just fine. This preamp sounds much more neutral and open than the Presonus one I was using before.

Comment

Does it come with recording software? If so, How does it rate with other programs like Cakewalk? I've been useing the Guitar Port and Cakewalk into my sound card. I read another review on the toneport. The guy said something to the effect that the TP only interfaces with a USB port and can't be run into your soundcard? I guess that's not the end of the world, But I'd like to have the option of going into my soundcard.
                          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

The TonePort *is* a soundcard (among other things). Why would you want to feed its analog output into another card? I mean, it's got line level outs, so if you can convince your PC and your software to recognize two sound cards at once, I suppose it's possible to do, but I can't quite think of why you'd want to.

As for the recording software, it comes with "ABleton Live Lite" which I haven't even bothered to install. I assume that it's a stripped down version, much like most recordign software that comes bundled with stuff like this. Between ACID, Sound Forge, SONAR and Audition, I feel like I've got all the options I need in the recording and editing department.

Comment

Much better clip (plus Drums on Demand loops, for anyone who has been wanting to hear them): https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=60513

Comment

Working...
                              X