Fender Bassbreaker Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Bassbreaker Upgrades

Anyone done any mods/upgrade on the Bassbreaker?

I love the Stock 007 Combo for the size, perfect for recording or practicing. I did find the bass to be flubby with my neck pickups. Didn’t know if that was due to the 10” speaker size or something else.

I put in new tubes (Sovtek) and replaced the original speaker for an Eminence Cannabus Rex—totally fixed the problem I was having. The amp really sings and smoothed out the flubby bass I got when using my neck pickup. Might be the new tubes, but I noticed a huge increase in sustain (using the same guitar with the same strings.)

Anyone else upgrade/mod your Bassbreaker?

If I ever decide I need another tube combo, the Bassbreaker seems like an excellent choice. Remember seeing Rob Chapman demo one and being impressed with the tones he got.

Ironically, messing with different IRs has made me want to go get a bunch of new speakers for my amps. Seems like chasing speakers may have been the better move than pickups all these years.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      If I ever decide I need another tube combo, the Bassbreaker seems like an excellent choice. Remember seeing Rob Chapman demo one and being impressed with the tones he got.

Ironically, messing with different IRs has made me want to go get a bunch of new speakers for my amps. Seems like chasing speakers may have been the better move than pickups all these years.
      i think that's probably true. I went through a top-to-bottom rig overview this week with a mic in front of my cab listening closely to changes. I changed pickups, magnets, speakers, and pedals, tweaked knobs on all of those, and decided I just can't really get along with Vintage 30s. That was really the thing that made all the difference. Now I know I need medium-hot pickups and a boost into an edge-of-breakup amp to get the tone I want.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

I've had the 15 and currently the 007. When I was playing live, I went with modded Hot Rod Deluxes (Eminence Legend) and Blues Deluxe (Eminence Texas Heat) over the Bassbreaker 15. The 15 was an awesome amp...I just don't know why Fender didn't make the gain stages foot switchable.

The 007 is a very simple amp, no gain stage selections and honestly not the most Fender sounding amp, IMO. For the price, I really liked how it could handle somewhat Fender cleans while getting into Marshall territory when driven. The flub was bothersome when using my neck pickups--tube and speaker upgrades fixed it.

I really really like the amp now--easy to tote around and sounds much better than the price tag.

Comment

I've had 3 different BB's I dig them. 007, 18/30 and nowadays the 15. I absolutely love the 15. I have recorded a bunch with it but I haven't had the opportunity to gig with it yet.

No mods to mine but it is the LTD with the Greenback 12" so I guess it is a factory mod. Honestly I feel it is perfect for me so I can't imagine doing any mods to it but yeah it would've been nice to be able to footswitch thru the different gain modes.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
          X