No announcement yet.

Speaker busted- Celestion or Eminence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker busted- Celestion or Eminence?

I recently diagnosed a buzzing problem with the right speaker to be a busted speaker. Not surprised, they came with the amp and its got some wear. Had two G12T-75s, and to be honest, they sound horrible with heavy gain. I never could dial out the nasal qualities it had, and if i scoop the mids at all with my Laney, it just gets worse. I bought two beam blockers from weber not long ago, and it helped kill some of those high frequencies. Unfortunately, they arent all gone and now the tone is just too ugly. Clean, my only complain is the high frequencies. Besides that it sounds good and full.

Since one of them busted I thought now is the time to really figure out what speaker would suite this amp the best. Ive read several of the speaker threads on this forum, and im leaning to try some Eminence speakers, maybe a Gov/wizard or gov/swamp. I will only get one speaker to replace the busted one, and if i am happy with the result i will keep the other 75, or i will get another speaker. I play alot of different types of music, but i want it to suit high gain more than anything. Thanks guys, like always
    Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
    Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
    Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
    Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
    Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Re: Speaker busted- Celestion or Eminence?

get a Mojo 30H and 30V together.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I've never tried the Mojo speakers so I'll only comment on the two I have owned. Here's a hint This guy ^^^ is like the modern day Jim Marshall--I'd give a listen to him, lol.

I had the Eminence Legend V12 speakers in one cabinet and Celestion V30s and G12H30s in the other. They both sounded great for high gain but the Celestion cabinet sounded better or warmer for classic sounding stuff (Zeppelin, Aerosmith, early Kiss) and hard stuff (Rush, Judas Priest, Scorpions) Both sounded really good--different---but good for cleans. The Eminence speakers were 120 watts each also.
      My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
      or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
      http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
      700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

I looked at the Mojo website and looked at those speakers. They are definately affordable, but it doesnt say anything about their tone. Is there a place i can look into it more? And is there a reason you would recommend them over the Eminence line?
        Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
        Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
        Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
        Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
        Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

Tone is G12H30 (30H) and Vintage 30(30V) combined. Avatar and Dr. Z started pimping this combo a few years ago.

30H has a better low end., smoother highs. V30 is just *the* classic rock speaker.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Recomended, along with Webers, as US-made. Mojo uses British made coils as well. Great bang for the buck...

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

i'm gonna hafta say that g12h30's are THE classic rock speaker. Every time i hear a classic rock sounding band i end up finding out they use g12h30's. Any more v30's are more of a high gain speaker.

g12t75/v30 seems to be the popular combo in 4x12's for high gain as of late, but in a 2x12 i dunno how well that'd work

if you're doin 1 at a time i'd say pick up a swamp thang, it'll fill out the bottom quite nicely
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I have eminence governors and man o wars in my splawn x pattern 4x12...

friggin' cab absolutely kills
                Splawn QR
                Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
                George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
                My Gear Pix
                My SPLAWN Clips
                My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

Either one works well.
                  1973 Les Paul Standard
                  1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Working...
                  X