No announcement yet.

OPINIONS? Fuzz pedal and tube amp REAMP'ed with 2notes Captor X ...cab impulses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPINIONS? Fuzz pedal and tube amp REAMP'ed with 2notes Captor X ...cab impulses

I would LOVE LOVE to just mic up my amp&cab for my demos

...but it costs too much...I make demos in my quiet apartment...

I use cabinet impulses and amp simulators (amp analog pedals as wells amp software)

I would love to get better tones and fuzz pedal tones.

Should I get the TWO NOTES CAPTOR X??? any opinions are appreciated thanks

here is a demo of it with fuzz pedals and a tube amp, sounds good imho

I left this youtube guy this comment:

Im in an apartment and modeler pedals or modeler software just does not cut it. Does the CAPTOR X do justice for your amps&pedals to your discerning ears with the IR impulses? Great sounding tones, I may buy a Captor X based on your video, cheers!!! I play an Orange Thunderverb 50 with a modded rat pedal and a big muff type fuzz pedal for doom metal/sludge/rock type stuff Corrosion of Conformity, Down, Sleep, early Sabbath or Led Zeppelin type bands. Thanks!

I dont have experience with the Captor X, but modelers recorded direct give 90% of the result with 10% of the work. People have said that IRs alone aren't quite the same thing as a mic/speaker. That has been my experience, but the level of tweaking you can do in a modeler makes up for it.

IOW, the Captor X will get you part of the way towards the quality of a real mic/speaker/amp. If you have 1K, a Fractal FM3 would be hard to beat for apartment life.
    Last edited by Top-L; 04-01-2021, 06:38 PM.

Comment

AFAIK the IRs will still play a massive part whether or not you use the Torpedo Captor X, but I wish I had one instead of my Cab Clone.

Which amp sims are you using? Have you tried the Amplitube Orange models? The Black Rooster Cypress TT is a good (free) sim of the Tiny Terror.
      Black Rooster Audio is an eager software company from Germany that brings you premium quality audio plugins in AAX/VST/Audio Units.

However, sometimes nothing beats using your own amp.
      This guy does a good job of showing how passive and reactive loads compare to actual speaker loads, using the Captor:

The other option is to get the preamp signal and run it into the power amp and cab sims in the Two Notes software.
      Last edited by CaptainWhizz; 04-01-2021, 06:49 PM.

Comment

thanks yall I definitely have experimented with all combination s of modeler and software/impulse over the last 10 years

...just not reamping

I like the video above...I have trouble following the science and data I must admit

ya I have had fun with the two notes software demo , good software

CAB CLONE?? BLACK ROOSTER?? AMPLITUDE??? yes yes yes killer stuff...you rock dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...I bought famplitube at one point orange models, they were ok but bad for the pedal sims and cant plug real pedal into it and make it that much better

for my 70s style retro doom/metal everyone loves how the feedback works with amps for recording, so of course that will never be possible with sims but still they sound good

my coverband guitarist has the fractal "three" so I listen to that all the time as a reference as I am lead singer...Im big into pedals and fuzz so fractal has not been able to do much on that front

thanks yall AND KEEP ROCKIN!!!!

Comment

Are you recording the demos on a computer?

Comment

yes

captor x lets you record live too and for in ear monitors...been mic'ing my cab to do that but it may have worthy benefits of straight signal

Comment

I recently got a Captor X and I love it! Having been doing sound for the past 20 years, this thing is the closest and most realistic device I have come across. So good, that I WILL be introducing it into my own live playing. It sounds good right out of the box and I find little need to try and change settings other than the reverb or twin tracker.

I too thought for the longest time that IR's were the weak link. I now think it is mostly the tool that is utilizing it. I had a Strymon iridium that I was hoping to essentially use as an IR loader with a preamp built-in. No dice, it was absolutely horrid. I couldn't find a sound I liked in it, or find another I could load into it that was any better. I was VERY apprehensive to get the captor X, but bit the bullet and went for it. SUPER DUPER stoked when I plugged it in. Instantly able to enjoy the results. It is the drone you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                I recently got a Captor X and I love it! Having been doing sound for the past 20 years, this thing is the closest and most realistic device I have come across. So good, that I WILL be introducing it into my own live playing. It sounds good right out of the box and I find little need to try and change settings other than the reverb or twin tracker.

I too thought for the longest time that IR's were the weak link. I now think it is mostly the tool that is utilizing it. I had a Strymon iridium that I was hoping to essentially use as an IR loader with a preamp built-in. No dice, it was absolutely horrid. I couldn't find a sound I liked in it, or find another I could load into it that was any better. I was VERY apprehensive to get the captor X, but bit the bullet and went for it. SUPER DUPER stoked when I plugged it in. Instantly able to enjoy the results. It is the drone you are looking for.
                cool thanks! ya modelers lol...I use a line 6 hd stomp for my cover band and it is great for that processed sound...but for doom/sludge the pedals matter...nice to get guitar/amp feedback on a recording to get that 'amp-magic' but Ill pass on the loudness

Comment

Just recently purchased a regular Captor 8, and its such a great unit. Finally technology has become available to the masses so we can crank our beloved tube amps at home and make it sound amazing through headphones/monitors. The sounds and feel i should say, I get great results with VST's and good IR's but this is much much closer to the real thing, I'm rediscovering all my pedals again as some only sound great when the amp is loud. I feel more interaction with my gear this way and it has a positive effect on my playing.
                  Also it frees up valuable memory/buffer space by just running an IR in my DAW.

If you need the extra features of the X then go for it, it's almost a no brainer imo.
                  The only problem with this type of unit is that it will give you GAS for more tube amps (got a Marshall Origin on the way sigh lol)

Once I will be able to play live again I will definitely incorporate this unit into my live rig and never get told to turn down the volume again.

I don't use the Two notes software, it's good but I get better results with specific IR's.

Comment

cool thanks for the feedback

definitely the golden age of gear...I would have never dreamed this gear would be possible, cheers

Comment

I’m kind of getting tempted by a Captor 8 myself, but I really can’t justify it as I already have the Cab Clone.

Comment

Working...
                      X