Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoothening out my tone?

Hey guys!

I've got my new Mesa Mark III up and running and I am getting some rockin' tone out of it. I was wondering though if there was anything I could do compress the tone a little bit and make it more concentrated/focused? It has a hint of buzz to it and I am looking to slightly fix this. Also, I dont know how old the tubes are, if tey are old, could they be attributing to the buzziness of the Mesa's tone?

P.S. I picked up an Ibanez Sweeping Deamon, and that pedal just rocks with both channels. Anyone else tried one of these?

Thanks for the help guys!
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Re: Smoothening out my tone?

It depends on what you mean by "buzz", but I guess that old tubes could contribute. If I don't know the history of the tubes in an amp, I swap 'em out whenever possible.

As far as tightness in tone is concerned, that amp needs to be cranked up a bit to sound right. If you're playing at low volumes with the gain cranked, that type of looseness of tone is common. They sound much better with the gain backed off and the volume cranked up.
    Mr. Way Too Proud of Texas Guy

Nothing nothing nothing, nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing.

Comment

I was never able to get the buzz out of my dual rect, It is ultimately the reason I sold it. Tubes can definately help. Both power and pre can help a bunch. The TAD 6l6 small botts are very warm with a smooth top. Speakers can also make a huge difference, what are you useing?

An attenuator can help too. You can roll back on the pre that way, should help it to open up more.
      ]
      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

It has the EVM 200W speaker. I'll swap out the tubes when I get my Gobspn restored and my Satch fixed up. I'll shoot on over to the Mesa forums and ask around for tips.
        Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
        Ibanez RG1570 Custom
        PRS McCarty STD
        '71 Gibson SG Custom
        Bogner Alchemist 2x12
        Vox AD15VT

Comment

yeah, I'd think you could dial in the preamp tubes a little, then get the right power tubes in the right hardness rating

once you've done that, then you're looking at speaker changes

a few preamp tubes are a good place to start, though, moneywise and tonewise
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.
            Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
            Ibanez RG1570 Custom
            PRS McCarty STD
            '71 Gibson SG Custom
            Bogner Alchemist 2x12
            Vox AD15VT

Comment

Working...
            X