banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headphones: 32, 80 or 250ohms? Beyer-Dynamic 770 pro.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones: 32, 80 or 250ohms? Beyer-Dynamic 770 pro.

Hello guys,

I'm just about to order new headphones, Beyer-Dynamic 770.

Thing is, these come in three variations, 32, 80 and 250 ohms.

AFAIK, the 32ohm will be the loudest, but the 250ohm will have slightly higher fidelity. Some people say, that to play safe, 32ohm headsets are recommended for using with i.e. laptops, multi effect pedals. While the 250ohm model would require a headphone preamp, to sound good (and/or be loud enough).

I want the 80ohm verision because it has cloth covered ear...covers, while the others are faux leather.
    (Also reviews say the 80ohm has slightly more bass).

Will the 80ohm be OK for use with laptop, stock PC soundcard, guitar multi effects and porta-studios? Or do i need the 32ohm verision?

Thanks alot

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

I once bought a couple pairs of AKG's to compare, for general purpose use (tablet movies, pandora/mp3s from phone, etc.)

AKG K92 @ 32ohms
    AKG K240 @ 55ohms

...ended up keeping the K92s because they delivered controllable volume from devices. Even 55ohms you gotta always keep everything on max.

Imho 80 ohms you'll probably need to run volume boost apps, and those introduce distortion. Or try to blow your eardrums out and/or destroy your speakers or headphones if you accidentally click the wrong setting.

Then again...ymmv
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

The best resistance to get for your headphones largely depends on the input impedance and power of the amplifiers you're going to be using. Headphones all use different drivers, so it's difficult to compare between brands and models.

All other things being equal and using the same design though, higher impedance will offer better sound (clearer highs, lower lows, overall flatter frequency response) but require better amplification. Plug highZ phones into an iPod and you won't have enough power to drive them - or if you do you'll find that you need to run the amplifier almost flat out which (especially in cheap/crap amplifiers) tends to introduce audible distortion. Running your amp this way puts more strain on the electronics and generates more heat as well. Lower impedance headphones require less power to drive (so portable devices will last longer when using them) and lower amplification levels will be needed. Impedance changes in a non-linear manner with headphones and with lower impedance phones you'll notice that frequency response becomes less even than with higher ones. Although they're louder, lowZ headphones have problems with distortion and ringing that are clearly audible when compared with high impedance phones that are properly amplified. Most cheap/small devices (mp3 players, crappy sound card amps, digital outs from pedals) don't like to see a load higher than 40 ohms.

General rule of thumb - if you want to plug into a portable device go with low impedance (under 40 ohms). If you have a nice headphone amp/system at home where you'll be listening most of the time or are doing critical monitoring in a studio go with a higher impedance (200 - 300 ohms).

(As an aside - if you ever get the chance to compare one set of headphones to another with different impedances make sure that you match volumes before doing the comparison. Because of the way our ears hear, louder will almost always sound better even if the quality of sound is worse. If you don't match the volume levels you'll probably always end up liking the sound of the lower resistance headphone simply because they have more volume.)
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
        I once bought a couple pairs of AKG's to compare, for general purpose use (tablet movies, pandora/mp3s from phone, etc.)

AKG K92 @ 32ohms
        AKG K240 @ 55ohms

...ended up keeping the K92s because they delivered controllable volume from devices. Even 55ohms you gotta always keep everything on max.

Imho 80 ohms you'll probably need to run volume boost apps, and those introduce distortion. Or try to blow your eardrums out and/or destroy your speakers or headphones if you accidentally click the wrong setting.

Then again...ymmv
        Yeah. That was my concern...

Too bad only the 80ohm verision is delivered with cloth, while the others are in faux leather. I can imagine that being a rather big feature, when wearing them for hours on end! :/
        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Thanks guys.

I think I'll go for the 80ohm verision- (much because it's cloth instead of faux leather)-

and maybe a cheap, battery powered Headset amp, if needed!

....if someone doesn't input anything that puts me of this idea.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have the 250's, (with cloth), and I've never had any trouble driving them with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

Yeah. That was my concern...

Too bad only the 80ohm verision is delivered with cloth, while the others are in faux leather. I can imagine that being a rather big feature, when wearing them for hours on end! :/
              Idk

Due to quarantine and family being obnoxiously inconsiderate, I've spent many hours working in my K92's and never had any issues

Btw, imho, cloth seems much worse. I imagine it'll absorb absorb sweat and gunk and end up looking like cloth seats in an Uber.
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

You know that you can just replace the pads, right?

Brainwavz super soft Round Velour Memory Foam Earpads are replacement pads for use on large Over-The-Ear Headphones like AKGK553, AKGK52, AKGK72, HiFimanHE 400i, JVCHARX 700'S. Fidelio x2, Razer Kraken 7.1, SennheiserHD 560 IIs, Steelseries Siberia 840, Tascam TH-MX2, Turtle Beach x300s + many many more.

On good quality 'phones you don't throw 'em out when the pads get worn.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's all about whats driving it... super low impedance like 32 ohm headphone devices are designed to preserve battery life in phones and Ipods etc while sacrificing accuracy and performance.

If you are driving it with a DAW or real audio output device plugged into the AC wall circuit -I would go much higher (minimum of 80 ohms)
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Ok.... WTF Google. I open Youtube and this is my suggested video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5A2833A-671B-4CF7-824B-3409EEAD5BF0.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	6071214

I was watching this channel last night and I probably searched Google for headphone impedance based on this thread, but still.
                    Attached Files
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have the 80 ohm pair. I get a good level from them into my iPhone. I record with them with a Behringer UMC22 interface. That drives them with no trouble.

The difference in sound from the 250 ohm pair is they have a bit more bass.

Very nice sounding headphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

***PROBLEM SOLVED!!!***

Okay!

Thanks for all your replies. You're quite a crew.-

I'm going to order the 80ohm verision, aswell as a bunch of musical accessories; when I go to visit my father the 12th.

I'm really looking forward to listening to music, practicing, etc. without bothering neighbors.

Rock on guys.

-E \m/ ♪
                        Last edited by Erlend_G; 04-07-2021, 03:19 AM. Reason: Problem solved! Thanks! :)

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          Ok.... WTF Google. I open Youtube and this is my suggested video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A5A2833A-671B-4CF7-824B-3409EEAD5BF0.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	6071214

I was watching this channel last night and I probably searched Google for headphone impedance based on this thread, but still.
                          I was discussing an Adirondack chair with my cousin last weekend
                          without naming it just "those chairs are expensive and there are patterns in the shop to make them"
                          and Amazon threw up several in my browsing list
                          may just be coincidence
                          but it is weird

Oh and Erl
                          I have nothing on the headphones

I got a set of Sony branded foldable ones that looked like a non folding set I like here at the house

Good luck
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

WAIT....... While it is true that higher impedance models will sound better, it is HIGHLY dependent upon the product that is driving the headset. Many headphones amps and other devices have a desired or optimized impedance that they want the unit to drive. Check the manual of your headphone amp or device and see what it wants first before just going with what some YT video says.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewizard View Post
                              WAIT....... While it is true that higher impedance models will sound better, it is HIGHLY dependent upon the product that is driving the headset. Many headphones amps and other devices have a desired or optimized impedance that they want the unit to drive. Check the manual of your headphone amp or device and see what it wants first before just going with what some YT video says.
                              I will be using the headphones with following:

-PC (stock soundcard)
                              -A variety of hardware digital multitrack recorders
                              -Battery radios, CD-players

...just about everything...

I've learned from researching the net, that a 80ohm headset will be good for everything- except iPhones and smartphones; where they won't be very loud. (Or reduce battery life, because you need more gain from the source).

I'm ordering the 80ohm verision, and hope I will be happy.

Thanks for your reply.

-Erlend ♪

Comment

Working...
                              X