In-Ear Monitors for Gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Ear Monitors for Gigs

Played my first gig where I literally could not hear myself (close to the drummer without any plexiglass drum cage...the guitar was coming out loud and clear out in front, just not where I was standing) and was wondering if there was a way to get In-Ears without going through the actual mixer (I would prefer in-ears for the whole band, but currently don't have that capability.)

Is there something for just a guitarist to have a personal in-ear while still having the amp be mic'd? (currently using a Bassbreaker 007 and a Line 6 Duoverb.)

Thanks in advance!

Without running in to some monitoring system / mixer, you won't be able to get anything in the in-ear. Does your PA setup not have Aux Sends for stage monitors? That's all you need to get it going with an in-ear or stage monitor.

Comment

If you have a line out or direct out (not an effects loop) from your amp, you could run that into an IEM transmitter. However, you would not have anything else in your mix. Putting that in only one ear might work, but you certainly run the risk of damage as you need to run higher volume without both ears being sealed.

Comment

I would still fix the problem where you can't hear onstage. Maybe amp placement, baffles, etc...someone is playing too loud. If it is really loud onstage and you have in-ears forcing even more sound in your ears, you are going to have some damage.
        Thing about good in-ears is that they cut off outside sound (mine do, anyway), so you'd at least need a mic capturing what is going on onstage for you to hear it. In ears aren't worth doing unless you are able to mix the levels of everyone in your ears, and not just have guitar in there.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I would still fix the problem where you can't hear onstage. Maybe amp placement, baffles, etc...someone is playing too loud. If it is really loud onstage and you have in-ears forcing even more sound in your ears, you are going to have some damage.
          Thing about good in-ears is that they cut off outside sound (mine do, anyway), so you'd at least need a mic capturing what is going on onstage for you to hear it. In ears aren't worth doing unless you are able to mix the levels of everyone in your ears, and not just have guitar in there.
          I agree completely, but I've never found the guys causing those problems to be willing to compromise. Elevating the amp or tilting to point at your head usually helps, but nothing can fix a drummer bashing the hell out of a kit

Comment

i always use iems

plug my line 6 hd stomp into a small mixer, problem solved

for tube amp I am planning to get a two notes captor x and plug it in to my own personal small mixer

Comment

I am the singer *some rhythym guitar....and mic up the guitarist for my iems

I have a filter in my custom iems so I can hear the stage volume

I tap into the drummer's vocal mic and split his signal

...I wish wedges worked but they just dont for my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

I agree completely, but I've never found the guys causing those problems to be willing to compromise. Elevating the amp or tilting to point at your head usually helps, but nothing can fix a drummer bashing the hell out of a kit
                Enclose him behind baffles. If musicians in the band aren't trying to make the band sound as good as it could, than I don't know...you don't have the same goals. A serious talk is needed to figure out how you can set up and play comfortably and hear each other. If he is playing that loudly, he probably can't hear what anyone else is doing.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Put some kind of processor in front and enable the bypass function so it doesn't change your tone. Run the processor's headphone out to some cans and wear those for monitoring. Run the processor's primary output to your amp.

Drummers are challenging for sure... the #1 factor in determining the volume of the band IME
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

If you are not singing, you would be hard-pressed to beat a set of earplugs. The earplugs really help knock the room sounds out and help keep the direct sound being what you hear most. If you are loud enough at all to be " in the mix " earplugs will help clean up the direct sounds perhaps enough to make a guitar that is hard to hear without them become rather clear with them. Worth a shot before spending LOTS of money. The IEM system you actually want costs $$$$ and anything less than $$$$ is going to be an issue at some point.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions!

We do have in-ear capabilities with the band's mixer so probably will see if we can go that route next time. The drummer is like a lead guitar player...quiet as a church mouse during sound check. lol

Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
                      X